Did I do the wrong thing?

I'm 15, and had been working at a low-class restaurant for almost 2 monthes. The last few weeks, my boss went on vacation, and the owner took over the management position. I have nerve damage in my hands, and cannot carry trays (carrying trays is not an essential part of the job) however, the boss prefers we carry trays and my medical ailments were treated as inadequate. She was a nightmare to work with, constantly changing the way I was trained, pushing me out of the way, ridiculing me when I brought things to customers when didn't have time to do other things. I tried to charge through it for as long as I could, but one day I asked a customer is they needed anything. The owner ran over, yelled at me, told the customers I was irrelevant, unimportant to the restaurant, and they were not to talk to me. After she was out of line of the customers, I quit on the spot. My former coworker informed me that she told the rest of the staff I quit because I didn't want to clean. Was quitting on the spot the wrong thing to do?

Favorite Answer

It's not advisable to quit on the spot but I agree that it's quite understandable to do so. In fact, you can even complain about the owner's behavior to a local job bureau. It's definitely abusive.

Well, it's unfortunate that the owner treated you that way. However, you would've been better off to just grin and bear it until your regular manager got back. Now you don't have a job, and you have an employer who probably won't give you a good reference. (Also, the owner is your boss's boss, so if s/he tells you to do things a certain way, that's how it should be done.)

• Judy

Not a good thing to do, but understandable under the circumstances.

YES !! you will now have a very difficult time finding new employment + you can't use that job as a reference.......you will find out in life that things rarely go the way you want them to

• Darien3 years agoReport

I hadn't planned on using the job as a reference in the first place. The owner regularly threatened to fire me anyway. The job put my hands and wrists as further risk.