What to Plea for my Speeding Ticket?

So I got a $200 speeding ticket a week ago for something BS. In my town there is a road that is 35mph then immediately turns to 45mph. As I make the turn onto the road, (in 35mph zone) I start driving and then see the 45mph sign. Once I see the sign I start speeding up to 45 mph. I pass the sign going 48. A cop is directly across the sign and clocked me a few hundred feet before the sign. I was going 48 but I could see the sign. Apparently I have to pass the sign to go 45 not just see it. I want to go to court and fight it since I have a clean record since I have been driving for 5 years. Since technically it was illegal should i plead no contest, guilty with explanation, or not guilty and hope to cop doesn t show up?

Just pay it.

Just pay it.

Hes correct that would illegal but sounds like the cop is a dick because everyone speeds up as soon as they see the sign. Im not a lawyer or anything but Id take my chances pleading not guilty, and if the cop does show up, i would try and find him a few minutes before your court sesssion and give him a good reason to drop your case. (Show him your clean driving record and explain your point of view) Wost case you could plead not guilty and ask for the mercy of the court.

• Mr.357

Just pay it. It sounds like you learned something and it cost a lot less than a semester of college.

• Ussarn

You could plead guilt and ask for a deferred sentence as this is your first ticket and you'd would like it off your record. If the judge grants this then s/he will sent a length of time perhaps 3 months to a year during which you can get no tickets and then this one will be gone. However if you get a ticket then both are on your record.

"No contest" means that you are not fighting it, so it would have to be one of the others.

Just pay it.

You just plead guilty. The new speed limit takes effect AT the sign, not when you see the sign. If you contest the ticket on the grounds stated, you WILL lose.

Note: Even if the speed limit increased before you began to speed up, you STILL confessed to speeding.

• Bruce

Nothing you mentioned is a legal defense. The law is clear, you can not increase your speed until after you pass the sign.

Stories of cops not showing up for court are highly exaggerated. You should expect the cop to be there. You should also expect the judge to be irritated if your defense lies in the chance the cop doesn't show.

No contest and guilty with explanation are the same thing. The only difference is a no contest plea can't be used against you in a civil trial. If you caused an accident and may be sued, no contest would be appropriate. For a speeding ticket, it won't matter.

Source(s): 24 years law enforcement