Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 3 years ago

imac vs macbook pro?

I have an iMac 27 inch, late 2013 and I love it to bits,

The specs are:

Processor 3.2 GHZ Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 755m 1024 MB

But since more school is coming up I was thinking of selling my imac and getting the macbook pro 13inch early 2015 for portability. I was thinking of getting an external monitor if I do get a macbook pro, but at the same time I do not know which computer is better.

The specs I want are:

2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz

8GB 1866 MHz memory

256 GB PCIe-based SSD

Intel Iris Graphics 6100

So what do you think? Should I keep my iMac if the specs are good or should I sell it and get a macbook pro, then later on get an external monitor?

Favorite Answer

The hardware specs are still really good for today's computing needs. In fact, the 2013 iMac has a better graphics chip than the Broadwell based Iris Pro 6100.

The 2013 iMac has the clear advantage in the hardware department. The difference in the CPU architecture is only 3%, considering the clock speeds are exactly the same. Since the iMac has a higher clock speeds, it's faster than the early 2015 mackbook.

But, keep in mind that these hardware differences are minimal, except for the graphics chip. If you need the GPU acceleration in the iMac, then it's worth holding on to.