Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 3 years ago

False positive for blood test?

I had a mono test and it came back positive, but im convinced i may have lukiumia. Everyone keeps warning me about cancer and what its like. Im only 13, so i cant get anyyhing done on my own. Im having more tests like ultrasounds, buy is it possible for luekimea to be mistaken with mono? Exuse spelling im on my tablet

Favorite Answer

Leukemia and Mono are not at all alike.

If you have a positive test for Mono, why are you having ultrasounds?

You need to make the acquaintance of Father Ockham's Razor, the scientific problem-solving principle attributed to William of Ockham (c. 1287–1347). In other words, the simplest solution is usually right. You have Mono. Only if you have symptoms not explained by Mono should you seek further.

Anything is possible though unlikely. You could start by asking your doctor to explain why you don't have it. Get a sense of what testing was done and what if any blood tests were inconsistent . To diagnose leukemia, docs could examine atypically changed lymphocytes under the microscope. Guessing they'd wait to see how you respond to medication for mono. Signs of improvement could help to rule out leukemia.

• kelvin

you don't have it

Not possible