JPP
JPP asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 4 years ago

I am going vegan this Monday and would like to know as much as possible about my options, food/drinks/recipes/etc? Any links will help :)?

I also wish to know more about coconut milk and how much of it is safe to drink on a daily bases?

As well as other good/healthy milk substitutes and chocolate sauces/mixes to make nice chocolate milk substitutes as well - CM, my #1 weakness, lolz :)

The following films:

1)"Earthlings - The Movie"

2)"Diet for a new America"

3)"Fast food Nation"

4)"ENVIRONMENT | THE MUST-SEE DOCUMENTARY"

*)"+Others"

have given me a major wakeup call/are finally really starting to sink in, big time, and I am going to really try to commit myself to this :)

• Louis
    Favorite Answer

Yay!!! Good for you!

We get this question a lot here so i have combined a lot of info into one essay which I'll paste into the bottom of my answer. But first I'll address your specific points.

I don't know too much about coconut milk. I hardly ever buy it. I mostly buy soy milk because it has the protein content.

I like chocolate milk too. And hot chocolate milk in the winter. and the hot chocolate milk also helps me keep my coffee intake down. I used to just keep some hershey's syrup in the frig to add to soy milk for whenever I wanted some chocolate milk or a chocolate flavored smoothie. but then I read about how the big chocolate companies don't pay their workers a living wage and employ children in their processing sheds. Human rights group have been trying to get the big chocolate companies to change for over 10 years and the big companies are just dragging their feet. So now I shop for cocoa powder at Amazon. I only buy organic chocolate from companies with the Free Trade sticker. I've also found at the grocery store a couple of brands of soy flavored chocolate milk that use organic free trade chocolate (its actually cost effective and convienent). One company, Calfia, makes a chocolate flavored coconut almond blend. Its delicious.

If you enjoyed Fast Food Nation (the movie), you have got to read Fast Food Nation (the book). Its like 100 x better. And here are some additional movie recommendations. Food, Inc. isn't about veganism but it helps you get an idea of how corrupt the whole system is. Very new environmental movie that touches on eating less meat as a way to save the environment is "After the Flood" - really really big budget and well done. A very new vegan health movie that I haven't seen but looks great from the previews is "Eating You Alive". And my very favorite two are "Cowspiracy" and "What the Health". What the Health just came out but you can buy it or rent it. Cowspiracy is probably at the local library .

----

A really good course in veganism is the “30-day Vegan Challenge”. It normally costs 20 bucks but it’s free if you join it from Cowspiracy. Go to this page:

http://www.cowspiracy.com/

Scroll to the bottom, and join up.

And you might want to watch Cowspiracy when you get a chance.

A similar option is the “21-day Vegan Kickstart” program. It even has an app! On the first day of the month you can start it with a bunch of other people so it has a social media aspect as well. It’s free!

http://www.pcrm.org/kickstartHome

Or just to the link below and start exploring.

http://vegankit.com/

At some point you should visit the library and take out some books about being vegan. Ask the librarian; they probably have quite a few. While you are at the library, if you have time sit down and peruse a few issues of the Vegetarian Times. And get some cookbooks, too, especially, if you like to bake.

Buy the Vegan's Daily Companion. It’s the best $10 you'll spend this month. Colleen Patrick-Goudreau wrote it and she is also the creator of the 30-Day Vegan Challenge.

Soy is a very important food for a vegan. Tofu is sort a vegan staple. At some point you should learn about preparing and cooking tofu dishes.

Don’t worry about becoming 100% vegan right away (or at all). Take your time, do what you think is comfortable and practical. And enjoy the ride.

• Daisy

Spend some time at veganhealth.org. it's run by a vegan registered dietitian.

http://veganhealth.org/articles/dailyrecs

• Laurie

vegetariantimes.com offers guidance for both vegetarians and vegans.

Hmm! Stay away from meats!

Coconut milk is very hydrating there's really no limit to it as long as you don't drown yourself in it. Almond milk is also good. Look up Mind Over Munch on youtube, she makes all sorts of easy vegan recipes, and most have only 3 ingredients.

gas will not touch chocolate. it is made from milk