Why do my hands keep shaking when doing things like using a spoon or writing with a pen?

im 16 btw, its killing me, its ruining my golf game and i have no time to go to the doctor because im travelling a lot

Favorite Answer

The first thing that springs to mind is Parkinson's disease, although it usually affects older people.

Shaking hands is also a symptom of hyperthyroidism and dystonia as well as multiple sclerosis, stroke and peripheral neuropathy. It could also be something known as essential tremor.

Try to see a doctor when you can.

But don't panic - it might not even be any of these things: everyone's hands shake very slightly, especially when there is a raised level of adrenaline. These tremors may increase when you're tired, if you smoke or have a lot of caffeine, if you're either much too hot or much too cold, or as a side effect to some medication.

For more information, visit:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Tremor-(essential)/Pa...

There's too many possibilities for anyone to make a guess. Diabetes, thyroid or other endocrinology imbalance, vitamin or mineral deficiency, ALS, too much caffeine, MS, MD, etc.

You need to go to the doctor and get a proper diagnosis and treatment.

I became that way when I was 14, it stayed for a decade, then stopped.

• Alicia

You're going to have to make a choice. You can keep traveling, or you can get that condition diagnosed and treated.

It could be any number of things from something as mild as a nutritional deficit, to something as serious as a degenerative nerve disorder.

Your call.

• IOM

Check yourself for Parkinson's although it's unusual for your age.