Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 4 years ago

Is 5 years too much of an age gap to date?

I'm 22 and she's 17

9 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Note that it's technically not illegal to date anyone of any age (SEX with a minor is the illegal act). Most people still either confuse these or simply can't grasp it. IMHO, I think it's ONLY JUST fine (the line still has to be drawn somewhere). If the age of consent is 16, then you can also have sex. If it is 18, then wait a year for that but you can still date without having sex. Remember that age differences will seem smaller and smaller as you get older. so this 5 year gap won't look big at all once the difference is 20 and 25.

• 4 years ago

5 years means that because she is a minor it is illegal to have sex. 4 years apart would be the grey area but 5 years difference in the eyes of the law at least in Canada and i believe the US, SO if you wait to have sex until you are both over 18 its fine. As you get older it is true, the age difference will seem small. SO if ou truly love them then wait one year to avoid going to jail :)

• 4 years ago

Well I'm 18 and my boyfriend is 27 which that is a 9 year age gap we're going on 8 months, and you being 22 and she's 17 that's not so bad so I wouldn't worry she's past the age of consent it isn't a massive age gap but if you were say 34 then I'd be wondering what someone like you would want with someone of just 17.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Well it's usually 2 max acceptable for teens and 5 max for adults . well anything under 10 years isn't extreme but that's when you're older. Does she turn 18 soon?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Athena
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Yea, at 22 that is a much bigger gap than 35.

• 4 years ago

That's ok.

• 4 years ago

For simple dating no, but she is underaged so no sex until she is 18 and ready for it.

• 4 years ago

As a father of a daughter who was recently that age, yes, my opinion is that's too much of an age gap.

• 4 years ago

Well that's technically illegal, but not too over the line. No 5 years is not to big of an age gap.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.