Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 4 years ago

Is 5 years too much of an age gap to date?

I'm 22 and she's 17

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Note that it's technically not illegal to date anyone of any age (SEX with a minor is the illegal act). Most people still either confuse these or simply can't grasp it. IMHO, I think it's ONLY JUST fine (the line still has to be drawn somewhere). If the age of consent is 16, then you can also have sex. If it is 18, then wait a year for that but you can still date without having sex. Remember that age differences will seem smaller and smaller as you get older. so this 5 year gap won't look big at all once the difference is 20 and 25.

5 years means that because she is a minor it is illegal to have sex. 4 years apart would be the grey area but 5 years difference in the eyes of the law at least in Canada and i believe the US, SO if you wait to have sex until you are both over 18 its fine. As you get older it is true, the age difference will seem small. SO if ou truly love them then wait one year to avoid going to jail :)

Well I'm 18 and my boyfriend is 27 which that is a 9 year age gap we're going on 8 months, and you being 22 and she's 17 that's not so bad so I wouldn't worry she's past the age of consent it isn't a massive age gap but if you were say 34 then I'd be wondering what someone like you would want with someone of just 17.

Well it's usually 2 max acceptable for teens and 5 max for adults . well anything under 10 years isn't extreme but that's when you're older. Does she turn 18 soon?

• Athena

Yea, at 22 that is a much bigger gap than 35.

That's ok.

For simple dating no, but she is underaged so no sex until she is 18 and ready for it.

As a father of a daughter who was recently that age, yes, my opinion is that's too much of an age gap.

Well that's technically illegal, but not too over the line. No 5 years is not to big of an age gap.