Do I need perquisite classes to take physics and astronomy in university?

Im looking into university classes and was wondering what prerequisites I need to get in. I can only find things that say "graduate" requirements which makes me unsure.

• eri
    Favorite Answer

I am an astrophysicist and college professor. Astronomy is offered at the intro level at most schools with no pre-requisites, but anything above the intro level will require calculus and calculus-based physics.

To be a professional astronomer, you do need a PhD. Without one, there aren't a ton of jobs in the field (and not all that many even if you do have one, but most people working in the field will). Sure, we need support of some sort. But that doesn't mean the support people are doing astronomy.

You need to look at the web site of the universities offering your majors where you may want to attend. There are no universal rules we can give you.

Also note that to be a real astronomer you need to get a PhD to even have a chance. In physics you can get away with a bachelors though a masers or PhD is preferred as well.

You really should have taken physics & math through calculus (or at least precalc) in high school. It will stand you in good stead. Without that high school introduction, earning A grades, you'll be hard pressed to tackle these subjects. Besides, it will show whether you have some talent, ability for coursework many find beyond them.

To find pre-requisite courses for university you will most likely be looking under "High School Admission" for undergraduate programs.

While I do not know what courses your school offers, or what university you're considering, I will show you the pre-requisites required in my local university for Majoring in Physics or Astrophysics.

The course requirements and High school/University classes will most likely differ from yours:

High School Pre-requisites for Bachelor of Science with Specialization:

(for both physics and astrophysics)

-Grade 12 Physics

-Calculus strongly recommended

Admission Requirements for Bachelor of Science General/with Specialization:

-Grade 12 English (highest level)

-Grade 12 Math (highest level, not calculus)

Choose two of:

-Grade 12 Biology

-Grade 12 Physics

-Grade 12 Chemistry

-Calculus

-Computing Sciences

Choose one of:

- Fine Arts

- Humanities

- Languages other than English

- Math/Sciences courses not chosen from above list

Students should be aware that their chosen program may contain courses for which there are specific grade 12 prerequisites that must be met in addition to the subjects used for admission.

• Robyn

Usually if you can look at the course catalog that will list any prerequisites. If it's a basic physics and astronomy classes, there are usually no prereq's. If it's a more advanced course, you would likely need a prereq completed first. Some physics classes have math prereq's, so keep that in mind.