Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 3 years ago

Is building and selling computers profitable?

I have very good computer knowledge, I'm currently in university studying finance trying to make some extra money. I was thinking maybe I can build high-end PC and selling them. I'm not planning to sell it on amazon or eBay. I'm planning to start my own website, maybe craigslist, but before I start. Do you guys my plan will be profitable? Thank you

Favorite Answer

In this present era, everything is done on PCs. So if you are planning to build a business in this sector then it is great. Get better knowledge on PC's building and then start making handsome money

'm 16 and want to make some extra cash. The idea dawned on me that I could sell computers that I make. I like making computers, so I figure it's worth a shot.

I know a few people who build computers then turn around and sell them on Craigslist, ebay, HW swap, etc.

What they dont do is buy their parts at full retail price. Sometimes they know an insider that can get them parts at reduced prices, they build perfectly capable gaming computers with uses parts, or they play the open box parts game.

• ?

No. There too much competition and you would have to sell tons to make it worthwhile.

I'm going to say no, we have a local guy who's retired he sells computers out of a store people rarely buy them from there they go more for little things like cables and such.

Big question is How many people do you know that are looking for or can afford a high end computer personally? i see them all the time on Amazon sitting there waiting to be bought. its the same ones for a long time usually that's competition right from day now.

Most people I know buy from known sites or stores like Walmart / name brand computer place, those places can offer warranty's that I'd bet you cant .

While you may be good with building, some States require things like insurance, a license to sell, etc. depending on your location may be an issue.

Now if you can find a local computer store that fixes and repairs and show them what you know you might get a job with them perhaps, but relying on craigslist and ect sounds iffy

Jut my opinion from what i know of my local area. I custom built my own gaming computer but i can't see making a profit from it.

Feel free to try if you really want I've been known to be wrong, if you do try I'd say build 1 or 2 see if you can sell then go from there...

• David

Probably not. Having a good computer knowledge has little to do selling building computers.

Don't forget you have to factor in a guarantee for 1 year, support and shipping. The bigger firms can buy components in bulk and get discount on trade prices etc. Where as a single trader you won't get such a good deal and your prices won't be competitive.