Who has caused more pain and suffering throughout all of human history?

A. People acting in the name of Christ?

Or

B. People acting in the name of Atheism?

Satan using people

Great, this old chestnut that gets the less honest and less intelligent committing the cüm hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Correlation does not imply causation.

While the most killings have been done by atheists, even more killings have been done by men wearing pants. Think about it. That includes the religious AND the atheists. Wearing pants is your real cause.

Except you have two problems. First, Marxism was an alternative that promised equality, and the Russians and Chinese jumped at the chance because they were oppressed by the ruling elite. That included the religious, who ate well while the Russian commoners queued for bread.

Second, while Christians have killed in the name of Jesus, the likes of Stalin and Mao killed because they were power mad dictators who wanted to remove any and all alternative sources of power. Because that's what power mad dictators do, religious and atheist alike.

Take Stalin as an example. He was a power mad megalomaniac. Although over 100,000 clergy men, nuns and monks were shot or imprisoned during the purges of 1937–1938, that was a mere 0.5% of his victims.

1938 - Stalin killed or sent to the gulags 40,000 high ranking military because he felt threatened by them. Nothing to do with religion or atheism. He killed or shipped to the gulags 10 times as many because they were artists, poets and novelists who had the power to influence people.

July, 1941 - Stalin shipped over 100,000 people to the gulags, not on religious grounds but simply because they were Estonian, Latvian and Lithuanian who Stalin thought would fight with the Germans.

After the war, he killed or shipped to the gulags over 6,000 people, not on religious grounds, but because they were heroes after defending Leningrad from the Germans, and therefore a possible threat to Stalin's power.

Stalin may have been an atheist, but not every atheist thinks like Stalin, only an idiot thinks so. If atheists are the most hated and distrusted group of people in history, it is because of people stirring up hatred, because they know deep down their delusion is illogical.

Edit: Oh, 1 TD. Someone hates historical facts.

• Sofia

You fail in thinking it was a "who."

• Nous

Not a single thing in the name of atheism!! Christians are either totally uneducated or deliberately lying!

Stalin was raised a Catholic and controlled the Russian Orthodox Church – in the top ten of Christian denominations. Russia has always been Christian which is why St Basil’s Cathedral is at the heart of the Kremlin!

Mao was a Buddhist!

Then look at Christianity!

Biblical wars.

Crusades.

Dark ages.

Reformation.

Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord. - Adolf Hitler

My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter.

- Adolf Hitler

As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people. - Adolf Hitler

George W Bush started FIVE wars in less than eight years stating each time that it was his "God Given Duty” and in 2001 even called it a Crusade!

Not his duty to the electors!

Not his duty to America!

Just his duty to keep slaughtering heathens for his god!

Look at all the terrible intolerance, hatred, bigotry, homophobia and persecution posted by Christians towards others!

Acting in the name of Christ obviously. Millions of people were killed and tortured in Gods name the past couplle hundred years, Atheism has never called for mass genocides like Christianity and other creationist religions have.

In the name of Christ would have only possibly happened in the last 2000 years, albeit it happened quite a lot in the middle ages.