When should I inform my boss about my vacation?

I am planning to inform my boss 4-6 months in advance for taking my 2 week vacation. Is it appropriate?

Favorite Answer

Request the time off as soon as you know. Remind the team a month ahead, and 2 weeks ahead, especially if you're not working a regular scheduled job. If you work in an office, the earlier the better, for resource planning and to ensure your time is prioritized, that the work can be offloaded to someone else while you are out, etc. Perhaps, someone needs to be trained on the projects you're working on, or about deadlines that are coming up, meetings, etc so that business can continue like normal, while you're away.

If you're working on a production line, or casual work, like food service, hospitality, or other hourly scheduled work, a month in advance is appropriate, with a reminder. Since you didn't provide the type of work that you do, it is difficult to ascertain the appropriate timing for the notice / request.

You don't inform, you ask for the time. It may provide a conflict, or be during a time when they can't afford to have anyone off work, and therefore denied. Timing is always needing approval, therefore, a request, not inform or tell when you are going to take off.

Yes

• tro

you would be better to ask your employer when you can take a vacation and then arrange your plans accordingly

• Judy

You REQUEST that time off, you don't INFORM him or her. They can say no, no matter how far head you ask.

the sooner your boss knows, the better for schedule planning

Put in your request for the days you need as soon as possible. Waiting too long can result in conflict with another employee who has asked sooner.

• 28AKO

yes

Too far in advance. First, make sure you have that time off. Second, a month or two is better notice.

• probably before you go

You don't inform. You request. And the sooner the better. Your employer will approve or deny your request at their discretion.

You don't get to unilaterally decide WHEN you take your vacation. Your employer gets a say too.