lynnkz asked in PetsCats · 3 years ago

Emergency catfood substitute?

All of the stores near me are closed today (it is a holiday), and we've just run out of catfood.

I'm vegan, so there is no meat/fish/eggs in the house for me to give them.

What could I give them on short notice?

Thanks to all of the "helpful" nutrition professionals. Yes, the stores were actually all closed. I don't feed my cats a vegan diet, they still eat meat/fish based cat food and cat treats. We had just run out of cat food because my cat enjoys feasting out of the bag so we didn't notice it was all gone. We found some canned cat food in the cupboard and fed them that. My cats live better lives than me, you assholes. At least I don't contribute to the murder of animals like you do.

Favorite Answer

My cat really likes sweet potato and pumpkin and I always add them to his food so if I run out for whatever reason (which I don't) I know he'll eat those. Rice is also okay for cats as a temporary meal but not a long term replacement.

• Ocimom

I'm SURE you can find a store that is open. If you have eggs, you can lightly scramble them (no seasoning) and see if the cat eats it. Being a vegan is NO excuse. You need to give your cat a proper diet and even if you don't want to eat meat, you really need to stock up on at least some chicken you can cut up and give your cat.

Go to a neighbor and see if they have a chicken breast you can either cut up and give raw or lightly cook it and cut it up.

Where do you live, Afghanistan? Otherwise, there's a store open somewhere. It's Labor Day, not Christmas. Quit being so damn lazy.

And if you're a vegan, you shouldn't have a cat anyway since you're probably depriving it of much needed nutrition.

• Art

Let em starve, the alternative Is your own flesh or the flesh of some other animal.

Kind of figure you are BSing it as there is always a store open somewhere,

Cats are notoriously finicky and no matter what you come up with, your cat may not eat it.

you could borrow a couple eggs from a neighbor and try scrambling one to see if your cat will eat it but I know from experience that not all cats will.

If your cat is well fed, it won't die from not eating till tomorrow when you can buy more cat food. It will be whiny though and extremely annoying.

My cat likes mashed potatoes.

Cook some lentils mixed with rice, should be good for a day. Next time, don't wait til there's almost no catfood.

Source(s): vegetarian ahlete

Do you have neighbors?

• Daisy

Do you have some dog food? They might eat that, but cats tend to be picky.

Either make the long trip to an open store or call a neighbor/friend. Either way, you should take better care of your cats.

You should buy vegan cat food