Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 3 years ago

Getting more energy on vegan diet?

I find my energy levels are constantly low and I am not as active on my days off. I try to exercise but find myself still tired. My B12 levels were high (not low) and I try to supplement myself and sleep well. I try to include veggies and lentils into my diet. however, I don't enjoy cooking often. Is there any suggestions for energy promoting vegan foods or good vegan nutrition cooking books you recommend? Thanks:)

• Louis
    Favorite Answer

The first thing that pops into my mind, Are you eating enough calories?

The second thing is a recommendation. you don't have to do it for very long but you should check your nutrition. I always recommend CronOmeter but SparkPeople is also good for that.

I think its almost impossible to be a vegan and not do a lot of home cooking. but there are some shortcuts.

One thing I have found really helps is if the recipe is for 4 people and you are just feeding one or two, to make the recipe as is. If the recipe is for 2 people, double it. Then you have leftovers and you have half or less than half the cooking to do. When I make pasta sauce I make a big pot of it. Like 2 quarts. Then i divide it up into jars and Tupperware and freeze a lot of it. I keep one jar in the frig. and then all I have to do is boil water and heat up the sauce. You can even make more pasta than you need and mix it with sauce and stick it in the fridge for leftovers. I do the same thing with chili and soups.

When you get home from the grocery store, wash and cut up your veggies. I find I'm way more likely to snack on veggies when they are ready to go. And it cuts the time to make a salad by 90%. whether you are making a stir-fry or a side its makes the cooking a lot easier and faster if you already have your veggies cut up.

Just like going from vinly, to 8 tracks, to cassetes, to CDs, to MP3s, my cook book collection has evolved. I have real printed cookbooks mouldering on a shelf. I have who knows how many cook e-books that i never open. However, one good tip for any beginning vegan is just hit the local library. They have lots of vegan cookbooks on THIER shelves. You can borrow them for FREE. If you don't know what you are looking for, there is nothing better than flipping pages and looking at pictures. You will get some great ideas quickly and easily.

Anyway, all my cookbooks are ignored. About a year ago I found that I like learn new ideas from YouTubers. I found a few channels I like that I subscribe too and I am constantly finding new ideas and recipes from them. I don't know, maybe its cause the girls are pretty. (BTW, there are lots of cute guy vegan YouTube cooking chanels if that's your thing).

Anyway here are four of my favorites.

• james

We have found that morening leaf. Helps with this. Look under wonder tree. As common name. High in iron & nutrients. For people on a basic rice diet.

Eat potatoes

Get off the unnatural diet then. Your body is weakening and tiring because it has no nutrients

I suggest you try eating a small amount of meat to see if it makes you feel better. Something simple like chicken breast or even some tuna.

If the meat makes you feel better from an energy standpoint, then you know that the vegan diet isn’t working for you.

Tired, cranky, no energy, not thinking as clearly as usual = these are all things that have happened to me after being on a vegan diet. I’ve experienced it several times after weeks or months of vegan only foods. Vegan doesn’t work for me no matter how careful I am or what I supplement with.

Beans, nuts, and whole grains will help keep you energized.

• TBK

Eat. More. Carbs.

• katiya

Increase:

fresh, raw veggies

coconut

citrus

be careful to pace carbs.

eliminate allergies, see if that helps.

try increasing calories overall for a little bit.

include a vegan food You normally don't get.

• Blearg

I don't know. My partner and I both had this issue on a vegan diet and tried various fixes, but after various health issues have returned to a mindful omnivorous diet and are doing much better. I hope you are able to regain your vitality in whatever way is accessible and works for you.

• Daisy

It's hard to say with the info provided, but new vegans often don't get enough calories.

Veggies, grains have a lot fewer calories than eggs, meat and dairy products.....but contain a lot of fiber that makes you feel full.

I'd suggest that you open a free account on one of the online fitness site (cron-o-meter, myfitnesspal, etc) and track calories and nutrients for several days. You maybe surprised at how few calories you're eating.