Do you have to turn off the water going to your garden (hose) tap outside the house in the winter?

I live in a place that gets as cold as about -10*C on some days during the Winter.

My garden tap shut off is in the crawlspace underneath, in the middle of my house, so I can't get to it. This is my first Winter here. I'm just wondering if I would need to shut it off so that a pipe doesn't burst.

It has a rubber cap on at the end of the tap (to stop water from coming out). I don't know if that helps or not.

***UPDATE: I called a plumber (who recently installed a toilet for me and check out the pipes in the crawlspace that day) to ask him where the shut off is for the garden hose pipe. He asked me if the Bib (the garden tap/spout) was screwed to the wall. and I checked and it is.

He said that I don't have to worry then because it is a frost-proof tap and will be fine for the winter. I do not need to turn it off.

It's called a: Frost Proof Sillcock. :)

Thanks all of you for your helps anyway.

Favorite Answer

Yes. Turn it off, then turn on the tap to drain the water between shutoff and tap. Drain any hose or other water-related stuff you have outside.

Yeeeahh... otherwise the pipes will freeze and explode

• M.

Turn it off and leave the nose bibb open.

• 2017

Yes there are companies that have equipment that will blow out the water out of the pipes

I'd turn it off and let it drip out till it's dry. If it's dry you shouldn't have a problem. where inside pipes are concerned people let them drip a little during winter so they don't freeze up and wrap those pipes with at least 3/4" insulation even in the basement.

If the pipes will be exposed to below freezing temps for any period of time, yes. You also need to drain the pipe, the shutoff should have a small cap that is about the size of a tire valve cap, only brass. You close the shutoff, open the outside faucet then go back and take off the little drain cap. I leave mine off for the winter.

you NEED to turn that tap off and drain it. The hose and/or pipe will burst if you don't

Source(s): granddad

Yes, turn it off. You might consider making the shut off more accessible next year to make this twice a year chore easier. I say twice because it's once to turn it off in winter and once to turn it back on in spring.

You either turn the water off to the outdoor faucet or you install heat tape to keep the pipe and faucet from freezing. That requires a place to plug in the heat tape. Don't forget to drain your garden hose and remove any sprayer or nozzle you may have on the hose and take it indoors for winter. If a nozzle or sprayer freezes, you'll be buying a new one. If someone could get into the crawlspace to install a shut-off, why can't you get there to use it?