Do I need to keep my taps slightly on/open while a watermain break is being repaired by the city until the water comes back on?

I woke up and turned my water on to wash my hands, but there was no water coming out.

Found out that the city shut off water on our street because there was a watermain break.

So just wondering, is it wise to keep my tap slightly on/open for when the water comes back on to reduce the pressure on the pipes?

Or does it not make a difference?

THANKS for you help

So the technician from the city told me to run my bathtub faucet (not the shower head but the lower faucet part for 10 minutes at full blast to flush everything out, and then I could turn on my other faucets.

Unfortunately, now my water pressure is extremely low in my taps and so they think that my water meter might be clogged up and they are going to replace it... for freeeeee!

• Andy
    Favorite Answer

There is no need for you to keep the taps open, however, when the break is repaired, you'll want to open each faucet slowly to let trapped air and any debris out of your pipes.

• M.

Heck no!

Not only would I keep everything off, I'd shut off the main coming into the house and not turn it back on until an hour after they are finished. Let any dirt that they introduce into tbe system go elsewhere.

You have no knowledge of plumbing.

• Mr. P

Keep them all closed, actually it would be best to turn off your supply to your house because when they turn the water is pressurised again it may wash debris into the pipes. This can be a problem if you flush your toilet because that will be where all the sand and silt ends up - and can cause the valve to fail.

Usually not a problem though - just run taps to clear the line before drinking it.

No, not necessary

No. That isn't necessary.

• Tavy

No, we don't.