If both Trump and Pence were incapacitated or resigned would Ryan become President?
I'm not saying this is likely, I'm just asking from a constitutional point of view.
- PatLv 73 years agoFavorite Answer
Here's the full breakdown of the order of succession and who currently holds each position.
1. Vice President: Mike Pence
2. Speaker of the House: Paul Ryan
3. Senate President Pro Tempore: Orrin Hatch
4. Secretary of State: Rex Tillerson
5. Secretary of the Treasury: Steven Mnuchin
6. Secretary of Defense: James Mattis
7. Attorney General: Jeff Sessions
8. Secretary of the Interior: Ryan Zinke
9. Secretary of Agriculture: Sonny Perdue
10. Secretary of Commerce: Wilbur Ross
11. Secretary of Labor: Alexander Acosta
12. Secretary of Health and Human Services: Tom Price
13. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Ben Carson
14. Secretary of Transportation: Elaine Chao (ineligible for the presidency; not a natural-born citizen)
15. Secretary of Energy: Rick Perry
16. Secretary of Education: Betsy DeVos
17. Secretary of Veterans Affairs: David Shulkin
18. Secretary of Homeland Security: John Kelly
Of course, it's highly unlikely the 18th person in line will ever take over as president, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.
- Jas BLv 73 years ago
The list of succession, who takes over after who, is laid down in the Constitution. This is a current list, though certain of these people may have lost their jobs, so it would be the person who currently holds that job, who takes over if those above him or her cannot;
- TimLv 73 years ago
No the Senate is next in line.
- Anonymous3 years ago
Yes. What a horror show. 👻
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Bubba RayLv 73 years ago
The Speaker of the House is next in line after Pence and will be a Democrat after the 2018 election.
- OldladyLv 73 years ago
Yes. They would all be bad. Ryan is as into the Russia thing as the others.
- MikeLv 73 years ago
after President and Vice President, the next person in line to be president is the Speaker of the House, which is currently Paul Ryan.
- Anonymous3 years ago
If you read my screen name here, that should answer your question.
- Huh?Lv 73 years ago
Yes, the Speaker is the next in line.
The order of succession (first five) is
Vice President Mike Pence.
Speaker of the House Paul Ryan.
Senate President Pro Tempore Orrin Hatch.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin.
- jeeper_peeper321Lv 73 years ago