Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 3 years ago

Question about feral kittens and eating their food?

I rescued a kitten and she is now 8 months old and has adjusted very very well in such a short time. I feed her twice a day, but in between that time, she begs for food so much, even when she just ate. Someone suggested I just fill her food up for the day and let her eat at whatever time she wants, but if I do that, the food will be all gone in one shot, she will overeat and still bed. What should I do? Keep her on a feed schedule?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Laura
    Lv 7
    3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Its great that you recognize that your cat would eat too much in one sitting. Unfortunately many people don't do that, and they end up with a fat kitten.

If she has not had a fecal test for worms or other internal parasites, one should be done. If she has parasites, they are getting the food, not her, so she is still hungry.

If she is not on a high quality food, that could be the issue. Low quality foods have more fillers and less nutrition, so she still feels hungry because she isn't getting the nutrients she needs.

She could just not be getting enough food either. Kittens need 3 full meals a day. If she has not been getting that, then she is probably hungry after each meal because she hasn't been getting what she needs. Talk with your vet about how much she should be eating.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Take her food that you give her in the morning and spread it out throughout the day. When she starts begging give her a small amount. Then give her the evening portion right before bed so she has a full belly and sleeps through the night.

• Ken S
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

If you want your cat healthy, you should learn about nutrition as it is the most important thing. Cats like to eat lots of small meals throughout the day. You need to stop feeding kitty crack (dry food) feed proper food for your obligate carnivore and if you feed canned foods no gravy no sauce, you can feed your cat as much as she wants,when she wants. She will regulate herself\

Please read www.catinfo.org

• 3 years ago

it wont hurt her

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

i think keeping her on a feed schedule is a good idea

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.