would ethical relativism imply that the holocaust was morally right?

need help for my dumbass philosophy class

Favorite Answer

Ethical relativism and ethical absolutism will both embrace Naziism.

Like saying can a good man go bad. They do and they did. Hitler’s and Germany’s ethics more resembled absolutism than relativism. But that doesn’t condemn absolutism either.

• urooba3 years agoReport

thank you for your answer, I see that many people thought this was an offensive question but I was just trying to understand the relativist perspective.

Lol.

The question really asks are there issues or acts which cannot be justified regardless of the rationale used to do so. You should ask for the logic, no matter how illogical, that was used to justify the holocaust. Given the reasons, the next step is to discover if they are defensible. I really can't imagine an argument that works. I'm afraid I'm ignorant of how the holocaust was justified. I believe the Jews were said to be less than human or inferior to the so called Aryan race was one of the reasons for their extermination. But if you use objective and factual analysis,you would have to conclude that the Jewish people contributed enormously to Western culture. Among other things, the German Catholics prayed to a God who was Jewish. There's a lot of other evidence that refutes this particular assertion, like the fact that the majority of the Jewish people were the wealthy and the professional elite. They were forced to go into business and the professions because they were forbidden to own land. Then they were condemned because they were good at it. So my answer is no. Ethical relativism must be justified by the use of logic, and logic must be objective and distinct from emotional justification. While I believe morality is subjective and changes with the culture and the time, I do not believe the same can be said for ethics. I do not believe morals and ethics are synonymous.

There is a key distinction between "imply" and "infer;" ethical relativism = valuing some values without valuing Absolute Truth. "Thou shall not murder" = Absolute Truth; "you may in self-defense kill the aggressor" = a nearly-universally accepted ethical truth. Ethical relativism permits any activity to be potentially right; thus, ethical relativism *may*, depending on one's particular set of ethics, imply "holocaust is bad," "holocaust is meh," "holocaust is good," etc. One may *infer* from a particular set of ethical concepts the likelihood of "x is bad, meh, or good." Related: "Golden Rules for Everyday Life;" "Man's Search for Meaning;" "The Slightest Philosophy;" "Understanding Yourself" by Mark Prophet, and, especially for the dumbast philosophy classes, Tom Morris' "Philosophy for Dummies"--it provide all the main ideas, in context, needed to blaze through an essay exam.

Obviously. If, at least some of, the Nazis didn't think it was morally right, they wouldn't have carried it out.

• tizzoseddy
      3 years agoReport

I'm not saying that The Holocaust was morally right in the minds of anyone except for a few zealots and fools.

The class isn't the dumbass. You are the dumbass.

• Larry K.
      3 years agoReport

I sure hope you're single!

• Edward

Report your teacher. The Israeli embassy would be a good start. They will send the Mossad to deal with him