Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 years ago

How do you purchase a property when self employed?

Now, I am 19 at this very moment, 20 next month. I know where I want to be, and am taking the steps to get a business loan and work towards setting up a dog training facility, specializing in behavior issues and offering puppy classes.

I am trying to ensure I have a plan and my life is in order.

What I am hoping to learn about here, is purchasing a property while self employed. I have been told by numerous people that I will need to be employed by somebody else for 2 full years before I could even be considered for a mortgage. I have wanted to own a decent chunk of land since I was young, as I was raised in the country before moving to a town.

I am in Ontario Canada

What are the typical steps to go through, to obtain a mortgage while self employed?

And how long would I need to be self employed?

I am not enjoying renting and figure I should get my life in order now, so I can stop renting.

Update:

I have been raising and training dogs since 7 years old, faced with numerous issues and corrected them, as well as assisted others with behavior issues

Update 2:

I am just generally asking, I have a ways to go.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

The key change for self-employed workers is the need to prove your income to any mortgage lender you apply to. Most will want to see at least two years’ accounts or tax returns. The more accounts you can show the better.You’ll need…

Two years’ accounts

An accountant

A track record of regular work

A healthy deposit

A good credit history..

• 2 years ago

It would be to your advantage to find a local mortgage lender and discuss the necessary qualifications in Canada to purchase a property in Canada.

In the United States you would need to prove a minimum of three years of self employment income with filed federal income taxes. This might be the case in Canada.

Normally you would be able to obtain literature from a local mortgage lender that would indicate the local requirements to be approved for a mortgage loan.

In some instances you are able to find the qualification by checking the internet.

I hope this has been of some benefit to you, good luck.

"FIGHT ON"

• 2 years ago

You will need a MINIMUM of two years worth of tax returns showing your self-employment income that meets lender requirements. Lenders do NOT finance vacant land. You could purchase a small farmette in the country, a house on several acres.

• tro
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

with money

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

You'd need to show them two years of tax returns with enough income to qualify, and your written business plan, and have a couple years experience in the field in positions of responsibility

• 2 years ago

(1) earn enough in a short time so you don't need a mortgage. Yes, it's possible, but not easy.

Not sure if your chosen business would make it possible -- your time is too limited, so you'll need to find ways of making more hours that you get paid for. Think of it this way: you have about 2000 business hours a year, and you'll be lucky to collect for about 1200 of those hours at your full rate. Not sure what you can charge, but even at $100 per hour, $120,000 doesn't stretch as far as it may seem/

(2) develop a decent record over two to five years showing that you have a steady income that can support a loan or mortgage. You'll need to keep accurate accounts (including bank verification) that show you can continue to pay the mortgage you get for at least a year (preferably longer)

• Jan409
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

The same as others. You need proof of income, over a period of years. Any loan you have and other expenses will be taken into account. Start earning and saving, as no lender will lend to anyone who doesn't have a decent amount of savings.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

I've been self employed for 30 years...getting a mortgage was never a problem. Your tax returns prove your income.

That being said, at 19 you do not have enough self-employment income history for anyone to lend to you. You will need a few years of tax returns that show adequate income from your business and you'll also probably need a current year profit/loss statement.

How much money do you NET (not gross) from your business and how long have you been making that? You didn't say...

You'll need to meet the other normal lending criteria such as credit score and adequate down payment.

• Lolly
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

You need 2 years of taxes to show steady income.

• 2 years ago

Generally speaking, you usually need 3 (as opposed to 2) years of self-employment with documentation in order to obtain a mortgage. At your age...that's not going to happen.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.