What is the past participle of "Spit" , meaning "to spear with a thing rod".?

• D50

spitted. It's in the dictionary believe it or not.

pretty sure the past participle of spit (as in impale, stab with a pointy rod of sorts) is "spitted". This makes it different from the past participle of spit (expectorate) which is spit. We had already spitted two pigs for roasting when John started coughing and spit up a gross glob of phlegm. It might have been ok if he had spit before we started, but in the middle of the job, it was just gross. Now I don't want to eat either pig even when they are cooked.

• RP

A spit is a device, like a spear, but it's a noun. We don't "spit" things, but put them on a spit. Hence, forms used for the verb "spit", like "spat", are not relevant or applicable. If you want a past participle for putting something on a spit, try: After putting the meat on the spit, I left it on the open pit for two hours.

In my experience in Britain, that is a very rare or probably non-existent use of the verb "spit" as an action, though of course we do have "spit roasts" at public outdoor feasts where a whole (dead, obviously!) animal is run through with a pole and then roast over an open fire while turning that pole for evenness of roasting. (I assume a "thin" rod in your question!)

I would have to say that "speared" is the word that comes naturally to my mind. Clearly "spitted" or "spat" are wrong. Is the verb "spit" often used in your part of the world for the action described?

If it is actually a verb I suppose you could say "the roast was spitted" although no one would know what you were talking about and everyone else in the world would say "the roast was on a spit."

Spit, as a verb, does not mean to spear something. A spit is a noun meaning thr rod upon which you spear a piece of meat to roast it over a fire.