What can causes lymph nodes to get swollen?
Iv had two lymph nodes swollen for about 5-6 weeks now, one of them is under my jaw on the right side, and the other is under my right collarbone. I don't have a cold or allergies. I do have toenail fungus that I have been treating for a few months but besides that I dont know it could be. Any suggestions?
- SarahLv 43 years agoFavorite Answer
The most common cause of swollen lymph nodes is an infection, particularly a viral infection, such as the common cold. Other possible causes of swollen lymph nodes include:
- Strep throat
- Ear infections
- Infected tooth
- Skin or wound infections, such as cellulitis
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) — the virus that causes AIDS
- Certain sexually transmitted infections, such as syphilis
- Toxoplasmosis — a parasitic infection resulting from contact with the feces of an infected cat or eating undercooked meat
- Cat scratch fever — a bacterial infection from a cat scratch or bite
Immune system disorders
- Lupus — a chronic inflammatory disease that can target your joints, skin, kidneys, blood cells, heart and lungs
- Rheumatoid arthritis — a chronic inflammatory disease that targets the tissue that lines your joints (synovium)
- Lymphoma — cancer that originates in your lymphatic system
- Leukemia — cancer of your body's blood-forming tissue, including your bone marrow and lymphatic system
Other possible but rare causes include certain medications, such as the anti-seizure medication phenytoin and preventive medications for malaria.
- LANLv 73 years ago
Only idiots and the mentally ill automatically assume that something is cancer.
Only complete idiots look for diagnosis online.
What possible, rational reason would anyone ask a group of people with no real medical training for a diagnosis rather than seeing a doctor if they had a legitimate medical problem. You are obviously an attention seeking hypochondriac.
- BrandonLv 53 years ago
Best thing is to go to the doctor, Sarah does pretty much sum it up but trying to self diagnose yourself is almost a fail overtime only a doctor can tell you exactly. This is why medical practice is years and years of school. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy thinking you got a STI or HIV or some other crazy other thing when the first sign if nothing turns out to be what you think, when in fact your only had a ear infection. Don't stress yourself see a doc.
- TarkarriLv 73 years ago
Sarah sums it up nicely.
If concerned- aee a doctor.