What can causes lymph nodes to get swollen?

Iv had two lymph nodes swollen for about 5-6 weeks now, one of them is under my jaw on the right side, and the other is under my right collarbone. I don't have a cold or allergies. I do have toenail fungus that I have been treating for a few months but besides that I dont know it could be. Any suggestions?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Sarah
    Lv 4
    3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The most common cause of swollen lymph nodes is an infection, particularly a viral infection, such as the common cold. Other possible causes of swollen lymph nodes include:

Common infections

- Strep throat

- Measles

- Ear infections

- Infected tooth

- Mononucleosis

- Skin or wound infections, such as cellulitis

- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) — the virus that causes AIDS

Uncommon infections

- Tuberculosis

- Certain sexually transmitted infections, such as syphilis

- Toxoplasmosis — a parasitic infection resulting from contact with the feces of an infected cat or eating undercooked meat

- Cat scratch fever — a bacterial infection from a cat scratch or bite

Immune system disorders

- Lupus — a chronic inflammatory disease that can target your joints, skin, kidneys, blood cells, heart and lungs

- Rheumatoid arthritis — a chronic inflammatory disease that targets the tissue that lines your joints (synovium)

Cancers

- Lymphoma — cancer that originates in your lymphatic system

- Leukemia — cancer of your body's blood-forming tissue, including your bone marrow and lymphatic system

Other possible but rare causes include certain medications, such as the anti-seizure medication phenytoin and preventive medications for malaria.

• LAN
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Only idiots and the mentally ill automatically assume that something is cancer.

Only complete idiots look for diagnosis online.

What possible, rational reason would anyone ask a group of people with no real medical training for a diagnosis rather than seeing a doctor if they had a legitimate medical problem. You are obviously an attention seeking hypochondriac.

• 3 years ago

Best thing is to go to the doctor, Sarah does pretty much sum it up but trying to self diagnose yourself is almost a fail overtime only a doctor can tell you exactly. This is why medical practice is years and years of school. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy thinking you got a STI or HIV or some other crazy other thing when the first sign if nothing turns out to be what you think, when in fact your only had a ear infection. Don't stress yourself see a doc.

• 3 years ago

Sarah sums it up nicely.

If concerned- aee a doctor.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.