How would a Space Empire categorize time , days , hours , and years ?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago

I have observed that the common practice used for science fiction stories is one of a time based on the original home planet. Time measurement units become a historical artifact. Sometimes even mention speculation on the planet of origin by comparing this universal time to local times on different planets (in empires where the origin is lost to deep history).

• 3 years ago

As soon as we encounter someone from a space empire, then we can ask them.

• 3 years ago

They’d set all their minion planets on the Homeworld’s time, no matter how fast/slow they rotated.

They’re mean like that.

• 3 years ago

Well since "space empires" are fictitious, perhaps you could consult an expert on Star Wars or Star Trek for their explanation.

Cheers!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

No doubt each planet would have its own calendar and clock. But for record purposes the Empire would establish a "standard time". More then likely based on the "capital" planet. There would be conversion factors based on the relative differences.

In Star Trek for example they use the term "Star date", which would be the standardized time, but each planet has its own date.

• 3 years ago

Generally, science fiction bases it on the home planet of the Empire. This makes sense as this is where the creatures evolved so those days and years are what they're used to. You could work out a better arrangement for hours for humans, for example, a 24 hour day is inconvenient, a metric option of 20 hours would work. However, I emphasise that's a human empire, alien empires don't need to be as restricted. In the end you're making it all up, do whatever you want.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

I'm sure everybody would go by their own local times and they'd just do conversions to get one local time from another, same as people do for global time zones now

of course the conversions would be more complicated but that is what computers are for

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.