Bell asked in PetsBirds · 3 years ago

Could raising quail from eggs help with vet experience?

I want to become a vet and I volunteer at my local animal shelter weekly and have lots of other experience as well. I read that owning a personal pet like a dog gives you very little to no experience in the eyes of a school but does anyone know if raising quail would give me experience?

Favorite Answer

Actually that's farming experience, nothing to do with health of a sick or injured animal.

Can you do some volunteer work with any of the local wildlife rehabbers? That goes a long way. A ferret rescue volunteer time may also help since that's considered an 'exotic'.

Also look into any DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) studies/field experiments in your state. Most are volunteer oriented and they deal with wildlife. Most states have state park events, volunteer work days and SNR volunteer programs. Here, take a look at what Wisconsin offers as volunteer programs, everything from red shouldered hawk counts to carnivore tracking (we have the occasional mountain lion here, plus native bobcats).

http://dnr.wi.gov/volunteer/opportunities.html

And here, read through this too, there's lots of info you can be reading prior to moving forward on this job field.

http://vbs.psu.edu/majors/vbs/steps-to-becoming-a-...

yes

• J C

Yes, ultimately - but what helps most with vet experience is of course becoming a vet. You need fabulous grades in a good 4 year school, and then you apply to vet school in your senior year of college. At that point you do get to tell the schools you are applying to what makes you unique and special, but there are many candidates for each slot that are also unique and special. You need to study hard and apply yourself, as well as have extra curricular activities that show you are a dedicated and motivated individual.

No. The thing that gets you into vet school is to have great grades in the first 4 years of college. Then you apply to a vet program and finish your 4 years of veterinary school. Having professional job or volunteer experience could help a little also, but grades are most important. You can get a vet assistant job without any schooling. You can also start out as a kennel tech in a vet’s office.

About any hands on experience with various animals will benefit vet studies. Back in my day, I have hand nursed a few small animals with the help of my vet neighbor, learning critical care and how to spot problems and deal with them.

I have gone so far as to learn IV rehydration and some ICU.

I have kept countless rodents and rescued a few marsupials, you pick up on common ailments that a given class of animal may suffer. If you are into aves, yes, you raise a number of birds from eggs, you get to know their needs and some of what to do when things don't seem right.

I am by no means a vet, but had good luck rescuing a number of small animals that were in a bad way.

It does take some know how and preparation to be successful, an overlooked issue can result in failure.

Source(s): Fmr wildlife rehab.

it might, just tell them about it and then you'll know if it will help

If I were screening you, I’d ask you why you thought the quail were disposable animals to raise to maybe up your chances of vet school.

• ?

sure.. go for it