Can I live anywhere at 16 in ontario?

Hi, so I currently live in the states. My parents live apart but not divorced. My dad live in canada and I live with my mom in the states. For instance what if I took a plane to Canada then decide to stay there with a friend in Ontario, plus I am from ontario. I will have no problem getting through airport, the question is once I'm in canada and in ontario im following Ontario law, and it says 16 yrs is when I can live anywhere I want. (IM A CANADIAN CITIZEN BTW)



Update 2:

I'm leaving on my own will, so I'll be traveling to canada alone thru air canada since they consider 16 yr adults.

7 Answers

  • SteveN
    Lv 7
    3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    At age 16, you can board a flight as an unaccompanied minor.

    As a Canadian citizen (with a valid passport I assume), you would be able to fly to Canada from USA.

    But there are a few issues you would face:

    1) What would your mother or father do in response to you leaving and choosing to live on your own or with a friend? I assume someone still has custody of you, or they have joint custody. At 16, you would be considered a minor and they are responsible for you. So they could call the cops and report you as a runaway or missing person. pretty sure the cops (RCMP? OPP?) would have to investigate and locate you in Canada, and question you and whoever you are living with. Just not sure whether they can arrest you or return you to one of the parents for being considered a runaway.

    2) There are almost no landlords who would rent an apartment to a 16 year old. They are worried about you trashing the apartment with your friends, and more importantly where the rent money would be coming from each month. Plus you cannot legally enter a binding contract (like a rental agreement or lease) if you are under 18. So you need a parent or guardian to agree to it and sign for you.

    If you want to live on your own and in Canada, then discuss with mom and dad and see if they can afford to have you go to university somewhere in Canada. You don't have to live with your dad, but it would probably save some money. Otherwise, you get yourself a dorm while attending the school. So from SEP-MAY you would live in the dorm and go to school, and maybe work after hours or on weekends to make some spending money. And then for JUN-JUL-AUG you decide you can go back to live with mom or dad for the summer break.

    Example from University of New Brunswick

  • M.
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

    AirCanada may consider you old enough to fly unescorted, BUT:

    The age of majority is 18 in most of Canada, in 6 provinces: Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, P.E.I., Quebec and Saskatchewan

    and age 19 in 4 provinces and 3 territories: British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut and Yukon.

    If you are flying from USA to Canada, you will need a valid passport, since you will be entering a different country. You SURELY will need a passport to re-enter USA.

    I guess you could live anywhere that you have access to, but I doubt that you can get your own place, even with cash. You are still a child in the eyes of the law, and a child can't enter into a contract (rent, lease, credit, etc).

    Just make sure both of your parents know what you are doing and where you are, otherwise they may report you as missing, and you will be in the police computers of 2 countries. If you somehow are found, it may bring great inconvenience to whoever you are with.

  • 3 years ago

    you might need your parents permission to do that

  • 3 years ago

    You are free to be homeless anywhere in Canada that you want.

    No one will rent you any kind of residence, as you cannot enter into a legal contract due to your age. Even if you had a million bucks in cash.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

    On your own?

    Realistically - no. No landlord will rent to a minor; you won't be able to afford it; and you don't qualify for any assistance as a minor.

  • 3 years ago

    Legally, yes, but, it is very, very difficult. While places can rent to minors that age, and over, few actually do. And, working to support yourself is also super difficult.

  • 3 years ago

    Yes, as a Canadian citizen, you can live anywhere you like.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.