I thought he was flirting with me but now it sounds like he insulted me. Crying/beating myself up! Help?

Ok so this guy who I used to buy coffee from at who I thought liked me because he would always strike up conversation with me and ask me personal questions about my life completely DISSED ME. One Friday night he asked me if I had plans that night and whether I drinked. It was caught off guard by the question. I said I had nothing too exciting planned and that I’d have a glass of wine but wasn’t really into getting drunk. He then laughed and said ‘curl up with a glass of wine.’ After that he got a really serious look on his face, looked at me intensely, and me being the socially awkward IDIOT that I am, smiled at him. Guess what? He had a gf! Kill me.

We ran into each other again after that boy did he have a point to make. He was sitting with his friend and they were both laughing. I looked at him thinking he would say hi to me and he just sat there laughing like ‘b$&$& I don’t give a eff if u don’t get drunk I ain’t into you.’’

According to social media he had a gf the entire time. Why would he ask me these questions? I’m usually by myself so he probably thought I was a loser. I’m really heartbroken cuz I liked him.

This is really bothering me and I feel stupid. I tried coming out of my shell and look what happens to me. I need advice because this whole situation is affecting my wellbeing.

• Brian

First, stop beating yourself up. You did GREAT but made one simple mistake. While he was asking you all sorts of questions, you should have asked him if he was spending his evening with his girlfriend... then he'd have told you if he had one without you having to research it and press forward with him. Its not the end of the world and you'll find other guys you'll like and may be interested in. Consider this just a practice run.

• Maria

How immature. He flirts with you in private then picks on you like a little boy when his friends are around. You really need to chalk this up as "s**t happens." You can't let every awkward encounter affect your self esteem. He is the loser.