Flexible hours at work without informing your boss?

My work structure is that I report to a junior person called a "team lead", then officially have a supervisor and a manager. I never actually interact on a day to day basis with the supervisor or manager.

If I were to start taking classes while working and doing flexible hours, how bad would it be if I did so without consulting the supervisor and manager and only getting the team lead's approval?

• Laura
    Favorite Answer

You need the approval of the person who makes your schedule, that way you can tell them about the change in hours.

You don't have to get their approval, you can tell them that your availability has changed because you are going back to school, and that you will no longer be available during (blank) days.

They may need a person who has a more open availability, so they may replace you. This is why you ideally work with them. Tell them that you are thinking of going back to school, and ask what days/times would be best to enroll in classes, that way your school schedule doesn't mess too much with the business.

• Evan

I would talk to your team lead about it first. Its a struggle, most colleges offer adult ed though so you can go at night. If your job prevents you from taking night classes and day classes, you need to ask them how you can work around it. In general its going to be next to impossible to work full time and go to school full time. But almost all employers will work with you on this, if you work part time then you just change your avaliability

• tro

if you have the approval of your immediate supervisor who makes sure your hours are reported correctly it probably won't matter as long as the work gets done

you have to inform them, otherwise you will be fired.

Your team lead would tell you whether you need to refer to higher staff or not.

• John

I would ask just in case

I’m not sure if there’s anyway to do it without talking to your boss. Not sure how they are where you work though.