How do I get to Greenland from the United States?

It's a place I really want to visit. How do I get there? Is there an airline that will take me from my specific state (New Hampshire) or a nearby one? If so what's their name? Or do I have to provide my own transportation?

Fllying first to Reykjavik (KEF)(for instance from Boston International Airport BOS) and then to places in Greenland such as Nuuk (GOH) or Ilulissat (JAV) is probably the best way for you to get to Greenland. They are one-stop flights.

The roundtrip in July may cost now about $1500. The flight to Greenland may take from 12 to 24 h depending on the selected flight (so, be careful when selecting your flight). However, the flight back to Boston may usually take much more time.

Above details have been found with "Matrix Airfare Search (ITA)" listed here along with reliable booking sites:

http://www.willgoto.com/1/023798/liens.aspx

More about Greeland:

https://visitgreenland.com/plan-your-trip/#howtoge...

.

Fly from Canada.

Putting "tours to Greenland" into any search engine will get you many different offers to take you there.

• Joseph

You can't get to Greenland directly from the US. Air Greenland operates regularly scheduled year-round flights from Kangerlussuaq Airport to Copenhagen, Denmark and Hamburg, Germany, and seasonal service to Reykjavik, Iceland and to Iqualit, Nunavut Territory, Canada. From Kangerlussuaq, it also operates domestic service to all thirteen airports in Greenland.

You should note that most of Greenland is covered with ice, a mile or more thick in some places. Along some of its coasts there are a few settlements, some of which (maybe just one of which) have airfields which can take large aircraft. In 1956, on my way from Amsterdam in the Netherlands to Vancouver in Canada, our aircraft stopped at one of those airfields to re-fuel. Its name was something like "Soderstrom", it was about one third up from the southern tip, on the east coast. Its name may have been changed since 1956.

Your best bet is to go to the website of a specialist tourist company. There may be ship cruises along the coast, which might be a good way of seeing Greenland.

• Andy C

Head North of

Maine.

Keep going.

You may have to fly out of NY or Quebec.

The closest thing I was able to find was a flight from Ottawa Canada to Nuuk, Greenland on WestJet. There were no flights from closer airports like Boston or Toronto. You could look on the Air Iceland site, but it doesn't seem like there's much demand from people for flights to Greenland.

I don't know how you would provide your own transportation- a rowboat?

• John

Just by reputation, having never been to either, myself - forget about Greenland, go to Iceland.

Go to a site like Expedia, enter where you live and where you want to go, and then youll see flights and times and prices. really simple.