Is being a funeral director worth it?

I have ALWAYS had an interest in the funeral industry. I’ve previously worked in a funeral home and I love it. I’m just afraid to go for it, I’m a family person. I love being around my family and another thing is I’m afraid I won’t have time to hardy since a funeral directors job is constant. Any feedback?

• Tavy

Do you really think you will ever find a job which will give you family time ? Really ? if so let us know which one and we will all go for it.

• ?

Will you have regrets when older if you don't pursue this?

You are right. It is not a 9-5 job, but there are times when it is quiet and times when it is really busy. You are able to flex that time. You may still be on call, but still able to be with family. Also if you are able to have staff, it will be a little bit easier. I highly suggest talking to the funeral director at your previous job and get his opinion.

A family friend of mine owns 4 funeral parlors in San Jose. He makes over $300,000 a year, so YEAH, it's worth it. If there are 2 jobs that are always worth it and will always need people is anything medical and anything involving death: people get sick and people die and that's a fact of life.

I will say that you HAVE TO BE DEDICATED as all hell to make it to the top. If you love your family and your family loves you, then the sacrifice will be more than worth it, that sacrifice being a few years of study in order to achieve your goals. Your family will more than understand.

Also, it takes a certain person to be in this industry. You have to be serious, reverent, and have a strong stomach. You are around death constantly and never forget the severity of that. It can bring a lot of people down, so much that this is why this business is in top demand; a lot of people cannot handle being around that much death and sadness. The family friend I know goes to a therapist 3 times a month to just let it all out because it can be A LOT to handle and he's being doing this for more than 20 years. You think you can handle it, have all your ducks in a row, very serious and all good until...someone comes in looking like your mother, or brother, or close friend...people can lose it quickly under these circumstances, so you have to be prepared for that.

Again, it takes a certain person to do this job, but at the same time, those certain people are making BANK.