Do you think working at a startup company for an internship is good?

Will it give me valuable experience before graduating university? I'm in engineering btw.

EDIT: The internship is affiliated with my university

Favorite Answer

Yes, any work experience looks good on your resume and in field experience looks the best.

Definitely do an internship.

sure

Yes, working in a small company let you handle more different tasks than a large one.

I'm going to agree more with Rosalie than with Shibes. If you can get an internship at a larger company outside your university, that will be better (a) because a larger company may have the capacity to expose you to more diverse work experiences and (b) because a reference that clearly does NOT come from your university will be a good supplement to whatever references you have from inside the uni.

I'm not saying don't take the job at the start-up that's connected with the uni; I'm just saying that if you have choices, a different choice might well be a better choice.

It could, but more than likely, you would do better interning at a larger, more established company. It's important to learn the foundation concepts as well as how to work in a larger company, before you fly the helicopter. Startups may sound fun, but they also have a tendency to evaporate, and then you have no reference- or you have a reference from something that didn't survive. Another candidate with more solid references would have an edge on you. There's actually a lot that is valuable in the experience you get from the older guys. They make MUCH better references, as well.