I have a honda cbr954rr that I just purchased in used condition with only 3300 original miles.. but I have noticed that it's somtimes?

Hard to go into neutral. It just skip past neutral and go to second & it seems like the only way for me to go to neutral his if I shut the bike off. Even if I try to shift from 1st to neutral really slow it still jumps to second. I've tried to adjust the clutch but no help have anyone else experienced this problem any help will be appreciated

• Ben

It's normal on those. You could replace the shift star detent spring if you really wanted to.

My Honda is hard to find N, too. And, when I Want 2nd, gets Into N ! (The indicator is broken, so, quite a challenge.)

I wouldn't hassle in your case with a gearbox teardown. I'd rather put my $ into a new rear tire.

Just something to get used to. Bikes weren't meant to sit in N, anyway, they were meant to GO !

• fuzzy

normally easier to find neutral from 2nd as you almost never need to downshift that far, whereas upshifting from first is the norm & hitting neutral by accident can be bad.

Ah! The CBR Nine Fifty Four Double R!

My childhood dream... But of course, with age comes wisdom and I eventually realized that a crotch rocket is just not for me!

If the bike sometimes get stuck in a gear when you shift hurriedly then its definitely a transmission problem. Happened to my old 2-Stroke Yamaha. But of course, it was such a cheap motorcycle that I never bothered to fix it and learned to live with it!

Up to you, mate.

Try double clutching. Try checking the linkage on the outside of the case to the shift lever. Block the frame up to lift up the rear wheel, rotate it slightly by hand, and see if the shift lever moves by hand through every gear without pulling in the clutch. The tranny should work smoothly with no screeching or grinding sounds. If it feels like crap, the next thing to check are the whizzy bits inside the transmission part of the engine case, which means, like, disassembly, dude. You'll need a shop manual or a retired Honda technician or a Honda shop with an oven, liquid nitrogen, a bearing press, micrometers, runout gauges, spare parts, and a lathe. Glad to help.

• Tim D

I would guess that it is rider error.

When you buy a bike that you are unused to it often takes time to get used to its controls – and remember that you can reposition the controls to suit your boot size and hand size (and the previous owner might have done this too).

Mechanically a worn bush on the control levers of the gear lever can affect how precise they operate, easy to check see if you can rattle it side to side – easy replacement.

But if you just bought it secondhand have you changed all the fluids – especially the oil.

A bad shifter or bad shifter fork or transmission has failed. See a bike mechanic. It will not be cheap.

• k w

big bucks @ the dealer.......unless you want to tackle a tranny.....