Shaine
Shaine asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 years ago

Can you still lose weight on a partially low carb diet?

I only eat carbs like pasta, rice, bread or potatoes at lunch right now. For breakfast I have eggs and sometimes a slice or two of ham. At Supper I have vegetables and meat such as chicken or steak.

I have read that you have to quit all carbs but I know I'd not be able to stick to that and am worried I'd just gain the weight back.

• Anna E
    Favorite Answer

You don't have to totally quit carbs, but you do have to realize that many foods have carbs, including vegetables and fruit. It is the starchy vegetables, such as potatoes, corn, beans, peas that you have to watch, as well as pasta, breads and grains because carbs can add up quickly. I would recommend if you must eat higher carb foods, to get a kitchen scale and actually weigh or measure your foods so you know how many carbs you are getting AND to only eat one starchy carb at the meal. For example, if you get pasta, do not eat bread at that meal. Same if you eat potatoes or rice, make that your only higher carb food at the meal.

• Kano

The potatoes are fine, the bread and the rice not so fine, whole carb foods with fiber are okay, refined carbs like sugar, flour are the problem.

• Low carb diets need to be low carb to work. You don't need to cut out all carbs, but pasta, rice and white bread should never make an appearance in your meals.

If you aren't going all in, then your best bet for a diet is calorie based. Though it is possible - depending on what you used to eat vs what you are eating now - that you have already created a calorie deficit and could lose weight.

You can eat carbs and still lose weight, but don't go overboard. Everything should be in moderation. I normally eat about 200g of carbs a day and I've never been overweight in my life.

Also, it's not just about food. You have to exercise as well. Diet and exercise go hand in hand

Here's the problem; If you are supplying your body with energy through carbs, it will burn the glycogen from those carbs before it will tap into the energy stored in your fat. Just cutting calories will put you into a state of malnourishment and your body will start to consume lean body mass to feed itself. This will negatively affect your metabolism.

I have been doing a high fat/extremely low carb diet for 20 months now. My total weight loss is 90 pounds but have increased my lean body mass (muscle) by 10 pounds. You are not going to accomplish that by cutting calories.

You do not have to stop eating carbs to lose weight.