Pardon me for this potentially stupid question but I need to know...is it safe to play an electric guitar if your hands or clothes are wet?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Danny
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Jack's getting it. The legendary **** (Richard, if YA censors still block) Dale used to hit a California stage when just out of the surf and wettish, then playing the biggest stuff Fender could build. As Jack notes, the current in the guitar (and a nearby microphone) is so low as to represent no safety hazard. To stretch the word a bit, it's all in the amps... I personally have played some outside gigs where either a shower breeze or heavy dew wet everything, no harm done. Any real danger would be in an ungrounded power source to amps, but in some of the dives I've played in, you just avoid becoming a ground when handling one or an amp that's on. Much more common, nasty but not dangerous, is static discharge, like when touching your lips or nose to a hot microphone; keep a windscreen cover on it. I have had to bail with band due to local lightning strikes, stopping the gig.

So back to it... Keep and use a clean bar or kitchen towel for the instrument as a matter of habit, with one always in the case. Once in a dry spot like home, thoroughly dry everything. Guitars and cases don't like staying damp, and can smell like a wet dog.

EDIT: Yes, YA whacked Richard's name... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y3h9p_c5-M

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): First-gen rocker, retired, named Danny, not "?".
  • 2 years ago

Your question isn't stupid, but most of the answers from unknowledgeable posters to this forum are. Use common sense around any electrical equipment, including electric guitars and amps.

• Me2
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Although it is usually safe, DON'T DO IT unless you have personally checked every plug and outlet in use for correct wiring†.  A very high number of musicians have been injured or killed by wiring faults.

( † Even then, it's possible for reversed wiring at a speaker output to produce a dangerous voltage differential, a particularly insidious hazard that's undetectable unless the power amp's actually generating an output.  I've been the victim of this error, while checking an already installed system for faults.  Turned out that a plumber had done the installation. )

• Willem
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

It probably is safe but, generally speaking, water and electricity should be kept apart.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

That's a bad idea for a number of reasons - don't do it.

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

No, so you should put on dry clothes.

• Jack
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Yes. It is safe. You won't be electrocuted by playing an electric guitar though there is a small risk of electrocution from other equipment hooked up to the guitar...a very small risk. And it won't do your guitar or playing any good either.

• 2 years ago

Don't do it. Outdoor events shut down due to the water/electricity problem. And wet strings deteriorate the surfaces pretty fast.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.