Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 years ago

How did I gain 5 pounds in just one day?

This morning I ate a pancake and an omelet. I didn't eat lunch. In the afternoon, I ate a large plate of salad as well as a bowl of pineapples and grapefruit. Somehow I gained 5 pounds.

8 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You didn't gain 5 lbs of fat, so no worries. Water weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs from day to day, not to mention right after you eat you are heavier by the actual physical weight of the food you consumed (until it's all broken down and passed through your system). If you consume a lot of salt or processed foods (high in sodium) that can make your body retain excess fluid, so you'll weigh more until that fluid is gone. Also, if you haven't used the toilet (to void or have a bowel movement) the waste in your body has weight, which adds to your total weight.

The best time to weigh is every day right after you wake up, after you've used the toilet, before you bathe/shower, and while you are naked (so no clothing is affecting the number on the scales). That will be your lowest weight of the day, and the best way to more accurately track increases and decreases in your weight (if you weigh at about the same time daily, under about the same conditions).

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • MELONS
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

water

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Go to toilet

• 2 years ago

Everyone is heavier at the end of the day than in the morning.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Check your scales and empty your pockets. That is impossible.

• ...Show all comments
    • Chris
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

http://thefitnessfocus.com/health-nutrition/normal-body-weight-fluctuations-explained

• 2 years ago

This happens to me occasionally. The extra weight usually goes away the next day.

• Drone
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Usually people eat lot bananas to add instant weight..

• 2 years ago

Did you drink a lot of water? Are you on any medications or have any conditions where you might retain water? I find that I gain 5 lbs at the beginning of my period from bloating, then lose it again as soon as my period ends.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.