2004 Pathfinder, power windows issues?

When I open my car doors, the windows roll down every time. I have tried replacing the fuse for the windows, as well as troubleshooted with the fob, but neither of these are producing a solution. I thought it might be the ECM but after looking into it more I dont think ECM was introduced until the 2005 models. Any ideas would be great!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Dan
    Lv 5
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

This is a common Nissan problem. There is a small rotary switch clipped to the back of the lock cylinder on the driver door, it has become contaminated. It's purpose is to lower the windows when you hold the key over for a few seconds. Over time moisture gets into it and it causes your problem.

The most common solution is to pull the door panel, sometimes inner panel too or window carrier and disconnect the switch. Most people never knew they had this function anyway.

You will read all kinds of things on the net about this mysterious Nissan fault but in the end this is the fix.

It's pointless trying to test the switch also. It signals a very high impedance module and what you may think are valid on / off readings on your ohmmeter are way bigger than what the module needs to trigger. If you really want to keep the switch you'll have to buy a new one and it's usually only sold as part of the door handle assembly - depending on the model.

Just looking at the diagram for this model, you could cut the two wires at the window switch in the arm rest as it's usually a lot easier to get at. They are shown as: yellow/blue stripe, and light green.

Good luck - YouTube : "Pathfinder door handle removal" to get at it.

Attachment image
    • ...Show all comments
    • Dan
      Lv 5
      2 years agoReport

No ;-) but it's a lot easier to pop the door switch out than taking the whole door apart. If the wires are cut with enough length to install crimp connectors later if desired, should be fine.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

First best answer to Erik. The owner's manual, on page 2-39, indicates if the doors are opened within 45 seconds of turning the ignition off the power to operate the windows is cut. Yours is behaving differently, continuing to have power and opening the windows.

I have been told that in most cars, if the unlock button on the fob is held down too long when the car is unlocked, the windows will roll down when it is locked. Have never tried that, though.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

You will need a wiring diagram for the windows system, a test light and a multimeter to fix the issue. Check for bad door switches, window switches and a bad motor. But see if it is only a case of a bad regulator. Could also be a bad body control module, a common fault on Nissans. If you think you cannot tackle this, pay a mechanic to get it repaired.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.