How come that there were been men with latin names in the middle east - 2000 years ago?

Peter, John, James, Matthew, Andrew, Philip, Thomas, Simon a.s.o.

Update:

Yes, they were Hebrew names.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • sarah
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

When Christianity spread into other lands so did the names of apostles and bible characters. Those were Hebrew names. Some are Greek names.

• 2 years ago

Those men had mostly Hebrew names. Maybe Greek or Latin. But they were given Greek and Latin forms (and later, English form) when they were translated.

• 2 years ago

Sorry, I'm still trying to grasp "How come that there were been men...".

• 2 years ago

Because Rome ruled the world for hundreds of years before that. They were popular names.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Dork
    Lv 4
    2 years ago

Only men in the middle east with Latin names 2,000 years ago were the Roman soldiers. Those names in the New Testament were Greek. It went like this, Greek → Latin → English.

• Rayal
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

1. Those were names given to the apostles much after the fact. Names were changed according to the language spoken by the writers.

2. Rome ruled the middle east 2000 years ago. They spoke latin.

3. Even Jesus wasn't named Jesus. His name was Joshua ben Joseph. His last name was not Christ. His middle name did not begin with a H.

• 2 years ago

free will. Mamas usually choose what to name their kids. My husband did let me choose and they have good names.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

History is not truth. It's interpretations of what some people think happened. Truth is living the true teachings of Jesus which brings happiness. History doesn't do that.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Peter, John, James, Matthew, Andrew, Philip, Thomas, Simon aren't Latin names, moron.

• 2 years ago

Where do you think Latin came from?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.