Is it wrong to pepper spray someone even though they just spat on you?

This woman and I got in a arguement but I don’t want to fight a woman or wan because nobody is worth going to jail for it she got hostile approached me and I told her not to come near me or I’ll mace her she didn’t touch me but she spat on me I gave up and maced her and she was gasping for air...am I wrong?

No

yes ...that's assault

Yes

• Bruce

What you describe is retaliation. Self defense laws are for protection, not retaliation.

Self defense laws are "affirmative defense", which means it is up to you to prove you had the privilege to use it. If you can articulate that she was about to continue to attack after she spit, you should be fine. If you tell the police what you said here, you could be charged.

If she spat on you, that is assault and you are allowed to protect yourself. She assaulted you.

• ?

No, you were not wrong since spitting is considered a physical assault.

You both committed assault so you both could theoretically go to jail

Since you both committed crimes, your best bet is reaching out to her and asking for a “truce”. Otherwise you both could get in trouble

The people saying that “you’re completely wrong” or “you’re completely right” are both wrong. Technically you assaulted her BUT SHE ALSO ASSAULTED YOU. Neither assault “invalidates” the other. You BOTH can press charges.

Because of this, chances are neither party would press charges unless they were stupid