My best friend's girlfriend made him choose between her and me, and I told him to choose her if he really wants to, did I do the right thing?

My bestfriend Luke and I have been best friends since we were 9. He has a girlfriend now of 6 months, and she has a strong dislike for me. She told Luke the other day that he has to pick between herself or me, and he has 48 hours. When he told me, I was obviously upset but I told him it's his free will and if he wants to pick her, he has the right to, and I'd always be here for him if he chooses her regardless of the situation. He hasn't gotten back to me and I don't want to lose him but I don't want him to lose his girlfriend because of me. Did I do the right thing by telling him he can choose her if he wants?

• -
    Favorite Answer

You did the right thing. At some point your friend will realize his girlfriend is manipulative and he will end it.

• Diyah

The fact that shes giving him an ultimatum is kinda sick. But I guess we don't know the whole story. But yeah you did the right things. She's trying to restrain him and cage him in a corner. You gave him some freedom.

If he uses his head and not any other body parts to make the decision, I'm sure he'll choose you.

• Janet

It is his choice.

All you did was give him the dignity of being free to choose.

And he WILL choose anyway, at some point.

You're the better person and better friend in doing it. Whether he sees that from beyond his hormones is an entirely different matter.