Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 years ago

Worried sick about my parents?

know this is ridiculous, but I am worried sick about my parents and their divorce. They split last October, ending a 25 year marriage, and it seems they're not getting back together. 

The divorce is not yet finalized, and I know they're both in tremendous pain. I live on the other side of the country, but when I've been home, mom cries often and tells me about the terrible arguments they've had, and I know dad is in pain as well, though he is less vocal. 

I realize this is none of my business and I don't snoop in their affairs. I also know it's odd for a 25-year old man to be so emotional, but it breaks my heart to the point that I often cry when I think of what they're going through. I was at a district conference today for my job and had to leave the room for privacy because I was beginning to cry. 

I know I sound pathetic and I probably am, but seeing them in so much pain, being so far from them, and not being able to do anything to help just kills me. It saddens me to no end that they are giving up everything they worked for because of this: their house is sold, dad's truck is sold, their recently built cabin is sold, among so much many other things. And I feel so powerless. I love them so much and I just want to be with them and make sure everything is okay, but I obviously cannot. 

How do I stop worrying about my parents and their divo

Favorite Answer

By minding your own life and leave them to do what they want and need to do at this stage of their life. Truth be told they do not need you with them and trying to make their choices. Another sad truth is that both may be a lot happier once this divorce process is over and possibly do not even any longer love each other.

Just thoughts.

just talk to thenn on the phone if youre so far away unless you want to nnove back honne

• Amz

You talk to a therapist. Just because you're grown up and not a kid anymore doesn't mean it doesn't affect you. Please, I urge you.

You sound a like a wonderful person to be soooo worried about your parents.

Wish you well.

• PR

Suggest they go to a local church for some counselling/marriage help. Many do this, so there shouldn't be a charge. They may have some suggestions.

They also might consider some sort of financial counseling if they can do it (if that's the problem). When you feel you have some sort of of control, sometimes things seem a little more clear. Men take very harshly, financial issues, even if it wasn't their fault.

Suggest they get together with friends, which actually might help. Friends are important. You might do the same for yourself.

Move closer to them.