If I get published how much could I expect to make?

My book idea is very good cause I've been working on it for about 14 years now

But I know new authors rarely became famous off their first publication

Favorite Answer

We had a published author come and talk to our writing group. He had three books sold to a mid-sized publisher. Standard print run of 5,000 books. His advance was $1,000 for his first book, with no extra royalties coming in yet (the book didn't sell much). And the second book was a $2,000 advance. He self published the fourth book himself through lulu.com which does print on demand and said he made more with that than the best he'd gotten from the publisher.

BUT his third book had sold as an option to a studio for possibly being made into a movie (it was a comedy) and he said that was a good $10,000 in his pocket for virtually doing nothing at all. The option holds for three years, after that he can sell another option if another studio wants to pick up the title for making into a movie.

My brother wrote a book that gets good ratings on Amazon. For a decade it has sold thousands of copies per year. He will never, ever, make minimum wage for the effort he put in. It was a work of love not profit. He donates his income to charity. His book is constantly in the top 30% of all books on Amazon.

Extremely few authors make much money. Do it because you WANT to do it.

It depends upon the story

That depends on sales. Just because your book get publish is no guarantee it will sell.

So you've been working on your "idea" for 14 years. Have you actually started writing the book itself?

it probably depends on how nnany books you sell

You could make anything from $0 to several million dollars. It all depends upon how well it sells. Books like 5 Shades of Gray are evidence that being a good book has nothing to do with how many copies are sold.

Length of time spent working on it doesn't mean it's "very good." Don't delude yourself. Furthermore, no one cares about ideas. They care about a finished product. If you've been working on it for more than a decade but still don't have a completed manuscript you don't have a chance in hell of getting anyone to look at it.

Most authors don't become famous whether it's their first, second, or even tenth book. And if I were you I wouldn't be expecting to make a single dime from your writing. Get established and prove yourself in the industry. Worrying about how much money you're going to make is ridiculous.