Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 years ago

Is there any way to make eating less painful?

I am recovering from an eating disorder. Most days I eat two slices of toast with no-sugar added jam for breakfast, maybe a cereal bar for dinner, and lots of coffee during the day.

I used to live un a huge city and occasionally have dinner, reasoning that since I was walking dozens of kilometers each day, I was burning calories, so eating dinner a couple of days a week was easier.

I took a job in a small town where there are very few places to walk, so now I restrict to make up for the lack of walking. And my job is so busy that I don't have time to join a gym or the like after work. So my reasoning is eat less and avoid weight gain. I believe I eat about 500-800 calories per day.

That doesn't sound like you're recovering from an eating disorder.

Therapy.

How often do you become constipated? If you do not eat breakfast with a high-fiber cereal, you probably have difficulty having bowel movements. I have eaten Kellogg Bran Buds and General Mills' Fiber One for ten years and I have maybe two bowel movements a day. Of course, I add raw fruit and nuts that increase the recommended fiber. I estimate that during the day, I eat 30 grams of fiber. Why not experiment and eat a small bowlful of the mentioned cereals. More important is I drink a 20-ounce bottle of water with each meal. Many people do not realize that constipation can lead to hemorrhoids. Women in labor are advised that straining to natural delivery of an offspring may cause hemorrhoids. For several years, I would walk fast inside a shopping mall and produced a light sweat that kept my heart-rate moving. Exchange one of your chores for walking and you will notice you enjoy walking if only for 20-30 minutes a day.

harrald

yes, eat and begin recovery

You are in bondage to your eating. Take care of yourself as you would any other person. You need a healthy relationship with yourself. There is a healthy weight your body can be at comfortably according to your genetics. Observe what it is. Don't treat your body like it's your slave. You're supposed to love yourself.

• O.o

Im sorry sweetie, you are absolutely not in recovery. I know it's hard and you are trying to work on something that terrifies you to work on.

I think you should work on the underlying issues with why you feel the need to control your weight, be small or restrict calories so severely.

What in your life has made you feel out of control?

What are you using this to cope with or avoid coping with?

If you cannot eat more, you might need to think about going to a recovery place.

Please continue towards recovery, this disease kills so many people.

• .

You need to speak to your doctor about that, and you need to be seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. There may also be a support group your doc can point you toward, so you can talk to other people who have walked a similar path to your own, and find out what they did and how they were able to get back into eating in a healthy manner again.

At the rate you are going, you are still doing damage to your body and your metabolism. You aren't recovering from your eating disorder...you're still in it full swing (calorie restriction and obsession over weight gain).

• Rick B

If you are eating 800 calories a day, You are not recovering from an eating disorder.

Quit making up silly excuses and start eating. You should eat several small meals a day totaling around 2,000 calories. Where are your vitamins and minerals??? Your calcium???

• Laura

Its great that you are taking steps to get over your eating disorder. its also great that you recognize things that effect how much you eat.

The best thing for you to do would be to talk with a therapist, or other mental health professional. They can help you figure out what specifically about food makes it difficult.

In the mean time, focus on eating super healthy foods. Toast is not nutritionally complete. Have some toast with a bit of no sugar no salt added peanut butter. Not only is this more filling, but it is more nutritious. Add some of your jam on there and you have pb and j toast, which is a great breakfast. Focus on getting fruits, veggies, and protein. These are the nutrients you need to stay alive, so try to focus on getting those.

You MUST Eat if you want to recover.

• mokrie

You have a mental illness and need to get help from a therapist. What your eating is starving your brain and heart muscle as well as weakening all the organs and muscles of your body. Try driving your car with a half a cup of gas in the tank and see what happens. It needs fuel to function and so do you.