Retiring from military. What do I do with my life? Suggestions?

So I have 8 years left in the military. By the time I retire I’m hoping my retirement pay will be $2300 a month but will probably be more like $1700. I wouldn’t mind finding another job if I can find something I like. I’m single. Not sure if that will ever change. I was considering doing the full time RV living thing and trying to make it work for $1700 a month. I don’t really want to move back home because it’s small and there’s nothing to do. My last 3 years of military will be shore duty. I have thought of buying a house when I get to that point. Right now I don’t know what I really want to do. I feel lost. What do you guys think? I currently don’t have any real passions. I play video games in most of my free time. I like the outdoors. I just don’t know who I want to be when I get out of the military.

Favorite Answer

Well, you like the outdoors. How about working at a National Park? Or start a River Rafting company? Or becoming a forest ranger? Working at a ski resort? Or at an outdoor sporting goods store company like Di¢ks or REI? Lumberjack? Utility linesman. Working on a ferry, fishing boat, cruise ship, etc.

The point being, you've got 8 years to figure this out and get an education. Go to school now to study forestry, or geology, or something that would put you outdoors.

Here's a link that will give you some ideas of outdoorsy type jobs.

You have a lot of time to decide. You might want to take some skills and interest assessments like Strength Finder 2.0. or job assessments. You can go online to job posting websites like Monster or Indeed and put in a skill or job title and see what pops up. You have plenty of time to develop new skills if you decide you want to pursue something for which you are not currently trained. You probably also qualify for educational assistance fi you decided you wanted to go back to school.

I agree. park ranger/ DNR.

• ?

First I think you should check out retirement plans at a few banks and put your money to work towards your retirement plans.

If you like playing video games then maybe you would enjoy designing them or creating them. But you may have to go back to school for that. As suggested take a few assessment tests and see where that leads you, you might find some thing that you would like to do.

Take some career assessment tests. Is their a career counselor on base? Or go to the local department of labor or local university. Take a few different tests and see what they say. Then go on the bureau of labor statics site - bls.org - and check out the careers. See what is trending, what it takes to break into the career and educational requirements. Maybe there are things you can do now in your current career to help you transition to the next.

If you want to go into computer programming to help make video games maybe you can take some computer classes. If you want to work as a ranger maybe you can become a certified guide now or knock out some classes online, or volunteer at a local park.

• ?

Forest ranger. Enjoy the wild...