Decorating Question - 20 foot bathroom walls?

I'm struggling with a bath remodel in my newly purchased fixer upper. I'm having the pink floral wallpaper removed from 20 ft high walls. The room is very large. The bathroom contractor is going to paint the walls builder-beige after removing the wallpaper. I don't have a clue what to do with those 20-ft walls to make the room cozier. I'm tempted to try a different wallpaper since I'll be living in this home for 10-15 years and am not too worried about resale right now. On the other hand, I don't want to give some other buyer the same rehab problems that I'm facing right now. Any suggestions (beside moving LOL)?

Sounds like you are three sheets to the wind.

• lkl

The kind of money folks are recommending that you spend is outrageous. You always want high ceilings, it's always a equitable value, just as painting, remolded kitchen & baths. Never remove the high ceilings. Those homes have high beams because the weather for rain. Don't remove that : ))

My husband is a architect & has taught be rules and reasoning behind them

my previous house was a Victorian house with 15 foot ceilings and the bathroom has been created from one of the bedrooms, so I had a similar problem to you. I found a drop ceiling, put in just above door height, improved matters no end - made is cosier, easier to heat and less 'barn like'

• Ann

A 20 ft. ceiling is like a second story. What kind of building is this, anyway? You should have the contractor build a dropped ceiling so the room will be about 7 ft. high. This will enclose the room (also, put some kind of insulation above it in the upper space so it won't be so cold in the winter). When you have a normal sized room, you can do whatever you want. I would put in track lighting if there are no windows, in order to keep it bright. Have the contractor install an infa-red heater and also an exhaust fan so there won't be excess moisture. You don't want any mold/mildew buildup. Use paint that withstands moisture. Be sure to have an undercoat of Kilz or something that will not let mold build up. Instead of "builder beige", why don't you paint it a cream or very light gray, with a bright accent wall. Use modernized fixtures in white, and a wood-grained looking tile on the floor? You can use mirrors and pick some paintings or other wall decor that can be changed out if you decide to change your color scheme. You can change the color of the accent wall and the color of your towels and shower curtain (if you don't have a shower with a door) as you want. Your ceiling should be a shade lighter than your walls.

Yeah, shelf the wallpaper idea.

If you cannot surround the upper half of the room with beams to lay a floor above for storage or a room accessible from somewhere upstairs, then do something visual to occupy the space from being bare.

Perhaps put mouldings around the room at a height of 9' and use paint to create a cozy effect. Paint is the single most least expensive element in a room that offers a lot of decorating impact. Select two colors that are on the same paint chip. Paint one color above and below the moulding line.

With 20' high ceilings, you should avoid "ceiling" or "pendant" lighting as they will just collect dust and cob webs. So, "can" lighting (recessed lighting) may work well high above, along with wall sconce lighting below that you can reach.

You may want to consider a dropped ceiling for energy efficiency reasons and to keep the humidity controlled if you are not planning on installing a ventilation system.

Whatever you put up high in that area, it will have to be maintained, whether it be a light or moulding or a fan vent to dust, so make it accessible.

Thank you for the ideas! They made a lot of sense, and I'm tabling the idea of returning to wallpaper. I'll be talking to the contractor about the molding idea, which was really creative. I appreciate your suggestions!

• Cammie

You can decorate any way you like. A half bath is a great place to go a bit wild with color and design.

What color do you love ? I love a purple bath.https://www.houzz.com/photo/16344412-los-altos-hil...

https://www.houzz.com/photo/3372525-tusculum-resid...

• Laurie

If you paint the top half of the wall a darker shade, as well as the ceiling, it will seem cozier without the cost or hassle of wallpaper.