I want to do art commissions but have no idea how to do them?

I'm a traditional artist and i really need money to get Christmas presents for my family and friends this year, i'm super broke at the moment, and i heard about commissions but i'm not sure how to do them right. I know that if someone contacts you for one you draw what they want you to and then they pay you for it once it's finished. I guess what i'm really confused about is if you need to send a physical copy to the person or if just sending them a picture of the drawing when it's done is all i need to do. I'm still pretty confused about it all and i want to start asap so any information about how to do art commissions is extremely helpful.

Update: literally no one is answering my question right.. i'm asking how commissions work. and if it makes the answers different, i would do this through instagram and have them pay through paypal, i'm just a small instagram artist and an introvert.. so going out and asking people if they want their portrait done is not something i can do.

• Tim D
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

You would set those terms with the client. If you were working digitally then a file might be acceptable, but for "traditional" art I would expect (and probably most clients) to receive the original.

• 1 year ago

The first thing you need is a portfolio because nobody is going to commission you unless they know what you can do. Paint or draw people you know, and then put together a portfoio of the portraits and photos of the people so potential customers can see how good you are. Then put together pricing depending on what medium you use, oils, pastels, watercoulur etc, and the size of the finished portrait. Then you have to approach people or get them to come to you via your website or blog. They get the actual finished piece to hang on a wall, and not a digital

copy.

Bear in mind that you have to be exceptionally good to do commissions, because there are some brilliant artists out there.

• John
    1 year ago

You put the word out that you do art-for-hire and people pay you to work for them. Or yes, you can go to a mall and do portraits or caricature - if you can do one in under 15 minutes. Either way, it's going to finance gifts for NEXT Christmas. This one is two months away.

>literally no one is answering my question right..

Well you just let us know whenever someone answers your question right.

• 1 year ago

There used to be a show in Ivation where 2 artists competes against each other. One starts in New York and the other starts in San Francisco. The goal is for the one in NY to get to SF and the one from SF to get to NY. The stipulation is that they start out with 1 dollar and they must use their art skills to find a way to get to the other side of the country.

One guy bought some pencils and started walking around asking if anyone wants a sketch of the portrait. He made pretty good money. That’s what you need to do. Go to a public place like a museum or park and ask if anyone wants a portrait or whatever.