I hate my job. Do I tell my boss, or just quit?

Hi There,

I am hoping to get some advice.

I work for a start up as their first employee. I've been there almost 2 years. I believe that I'm an integral part of their company and without me, they would not be able to function. Yes, they can hire someone new to replace me, but it's a steep learning curve - probably at least 6 months, which is a huge setback for a small company.

Currently, I hate my job. Each day drains me of any ambition or joy I have ever had. Lately, I am finding it difficult to keep quiet about this.

What would be the point to telling them how I feel? It would give them the opportunity to try to change things and fix the situation -- thus giving them the opportunity to keep me around. Since this is a start up, I believe there is the flexibility to potentially create a new position for me - or at least, slowly transition me into doing something new for them.

My worries -- can they fire me for expressing this? Is there even a point of saying anything, or should I just find a new job and quit?

I care about this company and want to do my best for them, but it feels impossible.

If anyone has been in a similar situation, or can offer any sort of advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

1 year ago

i would wait till you had a new job before you quit and also give a 2 wks notice too

• Foofa
    1 year ago

Go talk to the boss like a grown up and explain that you'd like to take on more challenges. Just that, no whining about the job. If they can't transform the position into something you like then you'd just tender your respectful resignation and give your two weeks notice.

• Linda
    1 year ago

This is what they call.....'a double-edged sword' situation. You are good, at what you do (an asset), but then you also hate it there and want to quit. You can take a chance and discuss this with your boss and hope you don't get fired or find another job.

• Marli
    1 year ago

Discuss matters calmly with your current employers. They are the people who will be providing a "reference" about you to prospective future employers should you quit. Matters at your current job might be worked out. If not, to quit in a huff will cost you a good reference. It will really cost you if you quit without giving at least the statutory length of "notice".

• 1 year ago

If you are going to approach the owners about your dissatisfaction, and remain employed, then if you have something constructive to say, say it and follow up with a viable solution to solve the issues at hand. This takes a lot of thinking, taking cause and effect into consideration while ironing out solutions for any bumps in the road, in advance. You know your employers. Are they flexible or not? Would they be offended by what they may see as criticism? Are they open to productive suggestions?

If you see no future for yourself in this job, then begin fining new employment, secure that employment and then quit.

Your job is basically your life as you spend a fair amount of time there. I would do what I could to improve the workplace IF you deem it is worth staying there long term. Otherwise, seek other employment before letting this job go.

You are right, you are replaceable...everyone is.

• 1 year ago

i would wait till you had a new job before you quit and also give a two wks notice too

• 1 year ago

Easy. Work on finding another job while you stay at this one. Don't burn bridges.

• Cara
    1 year ago

First thing, think how your position there might be improved. What extra work, what extra scope, etc., is there for you? Can you fit it all in? Or consider the consequences of changing what you do there - would it mean another person has to be employed to do what you are doing now? Would this be financially possible for the company? If you think all this is feasible, speak to your boss. Tell him your ideas for the company. If none of this will work, keep working the way you are and start looking for another job as soon as possible.

1 year ago

Never, I repeat never, mention the fact that you want to quit to your boss unless you have a back up plan. I have seen time and time again, people that thought they were vital to a company, tell their boss that something needed to change or their pay needed to be increased only to be pointed to the door, or told they already had their replacement in training.

First, very first, go find what you want to do instead. Get an offer letter from them. Then go speak with your boss. You absolutely don't need to tell him you have an offer. But you can tell him you are unhappy and still have an option if something falls through.

It may take 3 months to find a new job, would you rather do that while employed or unemployed? Find the job you want first, then negotiate or quit. Just don't do it backwards.

• 1 year ago

Talk to your boss.