Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 1 year ago

Does anyone have a realistic IQ question from a conditioned environment?

Hello, I wanted to book an IQ test, and wanted to see some example questions (I'm aware that you supposedly can't study for an IQ test).

Nearly everywhere online and in videos people say that the only proper way to take an IQ test to to schedule one at a proper institute. The online ones are innaccurate.

That being said, for some reason I can't find anyone who has posted a realistic question from one they took at an institute. The one's I find are the easy trick questions or "less than one percent of people can answer this".

Does anyone have an actual example from their own experience, by any chance?

Thank you!

• Laurie
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Sure. During my IQ test, one of the questions involved 8 or 9 frames from a captionless cartoon, and asked me to put them in logical order. (I failed this task, because I failed to recognize that the the cartoon was humorous, and I tried to arrange the frames as if it was serious.)

Another portion of my IQ test dealt with vocabulary. (Vocabulary has the highest correlation with overall IQ of any of the individual measures of intelligence, such as math, pattern-recognition, or problem-solving.)

It was a rapid-fire exchange between the clinical psychologist in me, in which he would give me a word, and I was required to respond immediately with a one-word synonym. (I got every one of them correct.) Some of the words I remember included "obtuse", "abdicate", "ostentatious", "dichotomy", "obsequious", "mendacity", "anachronistic", "capitulate", "obfuscate", and "fatuous".

Another section of the test was this type of question (I did okay on this section, but not great):

"Alex is taller than Tom and Cara. Angela is shorter than Alex, but taller than Tom. Maddie is shorter than Tom, but taller than Cara. Who is in the middle?"

Another was pattern recognition (I did very well on this; it was easy for me). There were a series of three objects presented, such as three squares: the first solid white, the second vertically-striped, and the third with polka dots. Then circles were presented: the first solid white, the second vertically-striped, and in place of the third was a question mark, along with the question "Which comes next?" The testee then chooses the correct response from a black circle, a dotted circle, a circle with diagonal lines, and a circle with horizontal lines.

These became increasingly difficult. For example, at first you tracked only the interior color/design of the shape; next you tracked two different shapes as well as the interior color/design; finally you tracked multiple shapes, the interior color/design, and a third characteristic that went backwards while the other characteristics went forward.

Another section provided a group of letters and asked me to form a word from the letters, using every letter given only once...(I aced this) This was NOT multiple choice; you simply had to write in the word. For example,

litelomen (emollient)

neccrhoa (encroach)

leyslalb (syllable)

(By the way, my IQ score was 145).

That's just what I remember. Hope that gives you some idea what to expect. I belong to a group called Mensa; their website sells a practice test for about ten bucks that will give you some idea of the types of questions that are asked. The Mensa test does not determine IQ, per se; it determines only percentile rankings... but you can make some general inferences from those rankings.

You are correct that there are NO reliable online IQ tests. They must be given by a trained, certified individual -- in person. However, you don't necessarily have to go to an "institute". The tests are often given in mental health environments, such as when someone seeks counseling with a clinical psychologist, or an assessment by an educational psychologist. However, these trained professionals do not give RECREATIONAL tests. They must be convinced that there is a reason it would be helpful to determine the patient's IQ.

It's also important to remember that IQ tests do not measure every form of intelligence, or creativity, or talent. To be fair, the test must also be culturally sensitive to the people who are taking it.

.

• 1 year ago

IQ tests typically have many sections. There might be things like logic puzzles (look up LSAT logic games for things that feel similar) or spacial reasoning puzzles. I was asked to look at a silhouette and arrange colored blocks in the same pattern. Some of it involves language skills. I was asked to define words. Some of it is memory based, I was asked to repeat strings of numbers in backwards order and to read a list of words, do another task, and then recall as many words as possible. I was asked to do large sums in my head, and to provide creative solutions for hypothetical problems.

The test is designed to measure how good you are at learning and absorbing information as well as your problem solving abilities. It is proven that it is possible to study and affect your score by a few points, but you should specifically not do that.

If you want the score to be as accurate as possible, you should go into it with a good night's sleep, a good breakfast, and plenty of water. Take a few snacks to help keep your blood sugar up. But otherwise you should not intentionally prepare at all. Just do what you normally do.

• Honestly, I'm not a fan of IQ tests because they are seen as some objective measurement of "smartness" AND that's seen as a definition of how valuable someone is. If you want a score about how good you are at solving puzzles then go for it. But know that it is just one part of who you are as a human

• Stoo
    1 year ago

Why would you bother studying for this test? Your IQ score is literally useless to your life. Either take the test or not, but it's not going to affect your life in any fashion.

• D1 year agoReport

Thank you for answering the question spot on.

1 year ago

It’s been a while since I’ve taken one.

It was very long and there were two rest periods.

I do remember seeing several pictures of events and having to put them in chronological order.

I also remember many math and logic puzzles.

You may be asked to view unfolded diagrams and then matching them to folded objects testing special recognition.

Finding missing numbers and/or letters from a series was common, too.

If I were to go back and prepare again, I would focus on being well-rested, relaxed (meditation/prayer), and avoid studying anything 24 hours prior. Kinda like prepping for an Olympic event, you want to be rested and strong to do the best.