Do people who claim the Earth is flat believe this literally? Or are they just having fun? Or perhaps engaging in a thought exercise?

I cannot imagine a mentally competent person with anything above a grade 8 education believing the world (the Earth) is flat. And yet there seem to be groups of people who espouse this idea. They even gather for conferences. There are celebrities (well, not that many) who believe this. My guess is that they are... show more I cannot imagine a mentally competent person with anything above a grade 8 education believing the world (the Earth) is flat.

And yet there seem to be groups of people who espouse this idea. They even gather for conferences. There are celebrities (well, not that many) who believe this.

My guess is that they are just kidding or are engaging in a thought exercise of some kind.

So... what's with these people?