What Is The Most Unusual Religion That You Have Ever Heard Of?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Ian
    Lv 6
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Aetherius Society began in the 1950's in England. They combined Christianity with a view of the universe drawn from Sci fi movies of the time, and a kind of early New Age spirituality.

If I remember right, they believed that Jesus came from the planet Venus, and that he would return on a flying saucer to a sacred hill in the Lake District.

I believe they are still around, but their beliefs have changed a bit. Probably because the world has not ended as predicted.

The Raelians (started by a French racing car driver, and the Czech "Universe People" have similar beliefs about aliens.

Worshiping the Duke of Edinburgh as a God (or "Numbah one big fella" as they say on Vanuatu) is pretty weird. I met him once. He's actually quite small.

A group in San Francisco found an old dumped granite pillar (according to some accounts a traffic bollard, although other accounts say it was one of a number of relics removed from Santa María de Óvila, a former Cistercian monastery in Spain by William Randolph Hearst), and worshiped it as a "Shiva Lingam"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_and_Luther_Ht... This was a pretty weird story too. 9 year old twins leading a guerrilla army. I was struck by the similarity to the Greek legend of Gemini, which may have represented an actual practice of twin sacred kingship. The ancient Celts also believed in the magical power of twins. Luthor Htoo apparently was the military leader, while his brother Johnny handled spiritual and administrative matters for the tribe.

https://www.theguardian.com/g2/story/0,3604,347432...

Also, this guy:

https://vimeo.com/124494253

more links to weird religions here:

https://www.indiatimes.com/news/weird/13-religions...

Attachment image
    • Quite a list of unusual religions there. Yes, I heard of the cargo cult that worships Prince Philip as a god. Actually, Rastafarians are similar to these people, because they believe that Haile Selassie, the last emperor of Ethiopia, was God too.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

Darwinism.

Source(s): The God Yahweh our Intelligent Designer and the missing link in the chain of evolution.
  • 2 years ago

Evolutionism.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Christianity.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Jehovah's Witnesses. They take the sacred writings (plagiarize them) of two other religions (Judaism and Christianity), and then twist them enough to establish their own doctrines, which the Apostle John warns of as being the doctrines of antichrist.

Source(s): 1 John 2:18-23
  • 2 years ago

Scientology

• 2 years ago

The brand of christianity that is practiced by the people on yahoo where it is apparently okay to lie about people youve never met, hate everyone who is different than you, and just generally make up stuff about atheists that only other christians ever really say. It is the oddest thing how the religion of love can so easily espouse hateful rhetoric day after day. Astounding really. But in the end, still sad and pathetic.

• 2 years ago

The Cargo Cults take some beating.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

The one that requires its followers to capitalize every word they write.

• Ian
      Lv 6
      2 years agoReport

IT'S NOT A RELIGION, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE! .....AND MY CAPS LOCK IS STUCK

• 2 years ago

Atheism. Its not even a religion.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.