Colin asked in SportsMartial Arts · 2 years ago

Do pro mma fighters have a health plan package to cover concussion related issues when they retire? Noticed most fight for peanuts?

They need to suply their own coverage

Good question. Joe Rogan says Brazilian jiu-jitsu fighters are required to smoke cannabis before they compete. Maybe it’s because of the neuroprotective benefits of that substance. Cannabinoids have already been shown in scientific studies to prevent traumatic brain injury from concussions from what I understand. Progesterone administered immediately after a concussion has been shown to do the same thing. Which is probably why women do not get as much brain damage as men do and are less susceptible to TBI -induced dementia and Alzheimer’s in later life. I think this whole area of concussion induced brain damage needs to be paid a lot more attention to. To find treatments for it because it causes a lot of pain and suffering to people later on in life. Or sometimes earlier in life. Not just people in the fighting professions either. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is also something that apparently has been found effective in treating traumatic brain injury. Wish I could get some.