What are some main symptoms of the stomach flu? Has anyone had it before?

My dad has been feeling sick, he has a high fever 101 and bad gas and stomach pain. He'll be going to the doctor Monday if he isn't feeling better, but wanted to know if anyone had the stomach flu before? I told him if it was stomach flu he would have diarrhea or vomit and he doesn't have either or?

Could be food poisoning if he ate some bad food. Or norovirus or rotavirus, (which don't always cause vomiting and diarrhea in some people, although usually do) but some people they don't have those symptoms for whatever reason, and still got it. And usually in those people, they instead just feel really nauseated, and their stomach feels super painful and tender, like you have swords poking through your stomach. Everybody in my family got it not too long ago, and everybody else had the vomiting and stuff, and I didn't but I was super super nauseated, and my stomach hurt super bad, and I had mild fever and mild chills. I also seemed to take longer to get over it (probably because I wasn't expelling the virus as fast as the others were) and my stomach hurt so bad at and I was so nauseated at one point, that I decided to stick my finger down my throat, and although I vomited mostly bile, I felt better for a little bit...

And if it is norovirus or rotavirus, you are contagious after your symptoms go away for about 3 days or more, so word to the wise... as most people assume illnesses are only contagious a little bit before and during the illness phase, but not with norovirus. So steer clear if you don't want to get it, or at least make sure to wash your hands a lot. Hope your dad feels better soon. If it is norovirus, it usually goes away in just a couple days.

• Pippin

"Stomach flu" is a misnomer. Influenza is a respiratory illness. Most cases of what we call 'stomach flu' are mild food poisoning or some sort of gastritis.

Food poisoning and gastritis can cause a wide range of symptoms, and the person may or may not vomit or have diarrhea.

101 isn't a high fever, but if he is really feeling ill, he may consider going to an urgent care clinic before Monday.

rrrmbxdh