Meng asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 years ago

Can you gain muscle at maintenance as a newbie?

Greetings friends. Over the start of the last few weeks I've been upping my work outs with more weigh training related activities. I don't have a gym membership, and for the time being I rather just stick to training at home on my spare time because I don't plan to gain a significant amount of muscle, rather just a little.

I am currently 122lbs at 5'8.5 (174cm)

My goal is to pack on a little muscle over time, maybe to about 125-127lbs without gaining excess fat so I can retain definition, get more toned, and still remain at a light body weight for calisthenics.

I eat around 1900cals/day which I've calculated to be my maintenance calories.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard from various sources that is possible to still make gains at maintenance calories as a newbie.

So for the time being, I want to keep eating at maintenance until I stall and then maybe go into a lean bulk and gain weight slowly over time until I hit my desired numbers.

Does this fact hold true?

Another thing is that over the last 2-3 weeks I have gained a few centimeters around my arms which are the only parts that I really measure. It's not much but they went from 10.5 to about 11.2 inches. Would feel happy to get them to 12 by the end of the month.

**Another point that I'd like to add is that I used to have a lot of muscle back in my prime (3 years ago) while also hitting the gym.

So this more about regaining lost muscle rather than building it anew because of nuclei/muscle memory .**

You cannot gain mass without an excess.

• Joe

Probably, as long as you are getting enough protein to keep the muscles growing.